CHAPTER 6: The Past Revisited

A few months have passed now. It was now nearing the end of October. Europe was cold and brisk. Bella seemed to be settling in okay but still missed her family. Every week or so, she would send emails to her father, Peter, to update him, to let him know that she was okay. Bella often got the same responses with the same phrases: "Where are you?", "I miss you." and "Come home.".

There were parts of Bella that wished that Peter would just let her go and trust her on this and the other parts that desired to be with her family again. She wasn't used to being away, in another country all on her own.

Since coming back to London after the Edinburgh trip, Bella still felt that pull, the need for something. She couldn't explain it. She didn't know what it was. Bella had been feeling this since the interaction with the Denbigh pack. She does know, however, that she's caught Luke Denbigh hanging around nearby, watching her. The first few times that she caught him lurking, Bella would run after him only to lose him after a bit of a chase.

One day, Bella tried a technique that her father had taught her to try and hunt the prey, if you please. She was able to trap and corner Luke in a secluded area in the forest and nailed him down to the ground.

"What the hell do you want from me?!" Bella growled

Luke huffed and threw her off of him. He kept saying he was sorry before taking off once more. Bella didn't see him again after that. What was Luke sorry for?, she wondered.

More time had passed. Bella took up a new hobby which she found therapeutic for her. After a visit to one of the many art museums in London, Bella had started to take up painting as a hobby. Now it's become more than a hobby. It's become a passion. It's become therapeutic. Bella had never painted before and had no lessons. She just picked up a brush one day and just painted. 

After a while, because of the lack of space in Ethan and Jackson's apartment, they had set up a small cottage just for Bella to live in, a few hours outside the city in Wales. The house was one of the many properties that Ethan had owned and insisted that Bella could live there. Bella was pleased. She now had her own space to live in and didn't have to be a burden to Ethan and Jackson no more.

Surprisingly, the cottage was the size of the old loft back in Beacon Hills so Bella couldn't complain. And there were no neighbors to bother her or to be seen. The small cottage stood on top of a hill, overlooking the valley and a beach! Bella couldn't believe her eyes when she saw the location. The sights were beautiful. The sound of the ocean was peaceful.

She was in prime position for epic beach sunsets at what was probably the only building in Wales that she could see. All that's between this boxy white house and the beach is a mini grassy cliff and a few sheep in the area. It's got a big kitchen for cooking up feasts, and proper wood-burning stoves. There was a garden out front and you could watch the tide come in under those pink skies. Bella felt at peace living here. The location was perfect and quiet compared to London. And the area was open and wide so that she could shift when she wanted to and roam around the night of the full moon.

For the first time since arriving in Europe, Bella had felt comfortable in her new environment. She didn't feel threatened or in danger. Far from it. One day, after a few minutes of walking on the beach, she came across a large rock and sat down on it, gazing across the water, admiring the view.

That night, Bella brings up the movie channels on the TV in the bedroom and browses through them. Feeling something in her perk up just a little when she sees Singin in the Rain. Back on the bed she cuddles against the baseboard, her head resting comfortably as she hits play.

Once Bella settles, she tugs the blanket over. Curled up like this, feeling safe and protected, the events of her whole life feel far away; something she's eternally grateful for. "Is that such a bad thing?" She asks as, on screen, Don gives the story of his 'illustrious' past. "Maybe I'm marking my territory."