CHAPTER 31: From Invitation to Becoming the Host

A few hours later, Bella woke up on the couch. The sun was lighting up the room. Luke was holding her, his face snuggled into her neck and her back pressed against his chest. Bella turned over, facing Luke. He continued to sleep. He must've been tired as Bella's moving around didn't seem to wake up. She looked over his shoulder and saw that it was almost nine in the morning. Luke rolled onto his back. Bella stayed motionless, afraid she might have woken him up. She didn't. Something about this seemed right to her. It was peculiar.

Bella closed her eyes again for a little while, only to wake up to the sound of light snoring coming from Luke. He was holding her so close to his body that she could feel the mixture of their sweat between them. All of a sudden, her heart races. Luke must've heard it because he stirred as he woke up.

"What's wrong?" Luke asked groggily

"Nothing's wrong." Bella answered "Everything is perfect"

"Hmm....strange coming from you." Luke snuggled his face into her neck and breathed in Bella's scent. He moved his arm to place his hand over her heart. "If it helps...my heart's racing just as fast." He whispered as he turned her, placing Bella's own hand to his chest. He was right. His heart was beating just as fast. Bella didn't need to hear it to know. They both knew what it meant and what they wanted. But they fought every urge and kept their promise to take things slow and wait. Luke kissed Bella's forehead.

It was strange for Bella. This wasn't her general behavior. No, she would have despised the physical attention but the whole soulmate thing screwed things up. But for some reason, Bella enjoyed the late night shenanigans. It was different. Thrilling even.

After a while, Luke had to get back to his family's pack before they sent a search party on him.

"They'll figure out eventually that we're seeing each other." Bella said

"Yeah, but my old man is determined to continue Alpha training me. He'd see this as a distraction."

"That's bullshit." Bella smirked. "If I mentioned any of this to my dad, he'd probably kill you." And that part would be true. She didn't want this to end. Luke saw the sadness in Bella's smile and wrapped his arms around her tighter.

"I will be there whenever you need me. I'm never more than a phone call away." Luke said, holding her tightly. Luke gently stroked her cheek and kissed her once more before leaving. "I owe you a proper date."

Bella chuckled "That does sound nice. I still barely know you. I'd like to get to know you better."

"And I you." Luke smiled before walking out the door. 

That was a lot of excitement for one day. Bella watched as Luke left and blushed at the thought of him. The soulmate brand left its mark on both of them for three months now. That was three months of Bella slowly falling for Luke, even when she didn't want to. Weeks since their discussion to take things slow. Well, things went from slow to fast pretty quick but still slow in regards to being intimate.

For the next few days, Luke and Bella exchanged text messages. It was the week of Christmas when Luke texted Bella

"Hey! What are your holiday plans?" Luke texted

Bella responded back "Nothing too crazy happening. Why?"

"Would you be interested in going to a party with me? As a date?" Luke asked

Bella smiled "I'm not one for parties but sure."

"Great! Ethan and Jackson are hosting."

Bella scoffed "You want me to go four hours to London and back just for a party? No thanks. Might as well have it close to home for me."

Luke replied back "I can persuade them."

"You think so?" Bella joked

Within minutes, Luke texted back to say that the party was moved

"Great! Where at?"

Luke took a moment to respond "I may have sort of offered to host your home."

Bella groaned "I should've seen that one coming."

"Was that not acceptable?"

"It's cool. I never get to host people anyways. Now I have a lot to do to prepare."

Out of all that excitement of a Christmas party, Bella actually forgot that her father was coming to town.