CHAPTER 20: Forgive and Forget

Standing alongside the water, with her feet in the sand, Bella truly felt at peace. As the water swam against her feet and back, she'd stare out on the horizon and all the stress would wash away. Her mind would be clear and free. She would forget everything. She would forget her surroundings. Forget about every bad thing that ever happened to her. Bella was so lost in thought that she didn't hear Peter calling her name, standing behind her. All it took was her instinct to know that someone was standing behind her.

Bella peered over at Peter, who was looking at her worriedly, before looking back at the water.

"You okay?" Peter asked her as he came and stood beside her.

Bella sighed "Never better."

Peter hummed "Do you want to take a walk?"

Bella turned and raised her eyebrow at Peter.

"Just an idea." Peter shrugged

Bella shook her head "I'm not going back to Beacon Hills."

Peter sighed "I know. I'm not going to fight you anymore."

Bella looked up at Peter in surprise

"I'll come visit you. You know I will. My passport has more stamps than the post office."

Bella laughed slightly "Dad...you can visit when I want you to visit. You gotta give me some independence."

Peter looks at her sadly. "I know I do. But I am your father so you gotta give me credit for worrying about you. It's my job."

"Dad, I know you far too well. What changed your mind?"

Peter thought for a moment "Listen kiddo. I know that you are strong. Stronger than you think. Everything you went through. The fire, my not being there half your life. Gerard, Kate, Eichen. Almost dying. You still survived, right?"

"Yeah?" Bella said in confusion, unsure of where this is going.

"There's no need for us to keep fighting. You gotta keep fighting for yourself"

Belle scoffed "My whole life, I have been fighting. I am tired of fighting. I need a break from all of this."

"I know."

"At least here, I am not fighting for my life every single day." Belle stopped and paused "Okay, the Banshee was a one time thing but things had been going really well for me here. Before, every time I tried to take a break, something was always happening in Beacon Hills. I am tired, tired of fighting to survive and it scares me."

"You never show your fear"

"That doesn't mean I am not scared. I just learned to hide it better than most"

"But I knew." Peter said "You may act tough, something you get from me but I always knew when you were scared. I can sense it, remember?"

"But that fear has helped me most of the time."

"The fear or the anger?" Peter questions

"I just follow my instincts. You taught me that. Now, I'm just listening to what my heart says. But, I know for a fact that we got way off topic here."

Peter smirked "We did, didn't we?"

"So tell me, why did you change your mind?" Bella asked again

Peter just stares at her. "How did you grow up so fast?"

Belle shrugged "I don't know what you're talking about."

Peter turned away and looked across the water. It was, in fact, beautiful and peaceful.

"What's this really about?" Bella questioned

Peter sighed. He imagined when Bella was a small child again, running happily into his arms and he just held her. To the sound of her laughter that brought a smile to his face. Running around and playing with her. Things were so much simpler then. Their family life was happier all those years ago. If Kate Argent hadn't destroyed their family, they wouldn't be in this position right now.

Peter dreaded losing six years with his daughter while in the coma and came back to a teenager for a daughter. Lucky for him, his daughter still loved him and that she had missed him terribly all those years. Visiting him in the hospital was never good enough for her. Bella wanted her dad back and it only took six years for it to happen. Plus another few months after Derek had killed him and Peter came back resurrected.

In a span of five years, Bella turned from a scared, needy twelve year old into an eighteen year old girl. She became a young woman who is strong and independent. Not afraid to do things for herself. But underneath the hard shell, she was still scared. Who wouldn't be after all she's been through? Like Peter, he too held all his emotions under a hard shell but he wasn't afraid to reveal certain emotions when it came to his daughter.

"Dad?" Bella's voice boomed and shook Peter out of his thoughts.

Peter turned back around and saw Bella with a concerned look on her face. Peter moved towards her "Just promise me something."

"Okay...?"

Peter took Bella's hand. "Promise me that you'll look after yourself. Promise me that you will call me all the time, hell even video call so I can see you. Promise me that you will call whenever you need something or if you just need someone to talk to. You know I will always be there for you regardless."

Bella looked at Peter with vulnerability. "I can't make any promises on some of that but I'll try. It's already going to be hard enough to go through this again. It was hard enough when I left home and now that you're here...These last few months have not been easy for me. It wasn't easy for me to adjust to being here by myself. I'm trying my hardest but sometimes I don't think it's worth it but deep down I know that this is what I want but..."

Bella started to ramble. Peter seized control of his own emotions once he caught Bella's eyes watering. "Oh, pup, come here." Peter takes Bella in his arms, resting his chin on top of her head. "You're doing the best you can, you are still learning. It's okay to think you need improvement. But that's also what makes you worth it. You are doing your best and you will improve everyday with every mistake you make. And I'll be there every step of the way, okay?"

Bella tried to wipe her tears away to conceal them without succeeding. "Thanks, dad."

Peter smiles down at her. "Are we okay, now? Did we put everything behind us?"

Bella looked at Peter as she nodded "Yeah, we're okay. As long as you don't pull some of that shit you did when you first got here again. Don't want to have you try and kill me again."

Peter scoffed "Believe me, sweetheart. That's the last thing I want to do. I'd die before I ever lay a hand on you" Peter cups Bella's cheek with his right hand, his eyes filled with guilt "I'm so sorry I hurt you. Not just physically but..."

Bella stops him and goes towards Peter and hugs him. Peter is surprised. After a few seconds, he reciprocates the hug "It's okay. We all made mistakes. From before and after the Banshee, we're good now. I can't blame you for what the Banshee did. You weren't in control of yourself at the time. Neither of us knew you were possessed. Let's just forgive and forget"

Peter thought he could cry at this moment. But he won't. He thought he was going to lose his daughter and lose her trust but he didn't. His pup always surprised him. Peter feels relieved that they were okay.