CHAPTER 9: Suffocating

Peter watched his daughter sleep for a few hours before he carefully left the room, leaving the door cracked a bit, before heading down stairs in the unfamiliar house.

When he reached the living room, he found Derek holding paint canvases in his hands and observed them both

"Lydia was right. These paintings are identical." Derek said

Peter ignored what Derek said and said something unexpected.

"I know I don't say it often. I wanted to thank you, Derek." Peter said

Derek turned to look at his uncle "What for?"

"For helping me come all this way to find her. It really means a lot to me"

"Peter, what did you expect me to do? She's family and we do anything for our family." Derek tells him with a smile.

Peter returns it as looks around the room. The whole lower floor was a mess with art spread all over the floor. He picks up one of the canvases. "You know, she should really learn how to pick up after herself."

Derek snorted "What did you expect? She's been off for days. It's no wonder Bella went off track here. This whole setup is unlike her."

"And we shall find out more later." Peter said as he started picking the canvases off the floor. Derek followed this and they placed them on the kitchen table in an orderly fashion.

Peter then heads into the unfamiliar kitchen. He scoured the cupboards until he found what he wanted. He makes himself a cup of tea before sitting down in the chair across from Derek. Peter sat there and took everything in. He found his daughter. She was okay for now.

But what would happen next? Peter knows there's a heavy conversation coming that he needs to be prepared for. He was angry and heartbroken when Bella left and Peter was desperate for answers coming directly from her. Not like from the emails she had sent him but real words with her voice. Bella used to be able to talk to Peter about anything. Why not this?

Before settling down for the night, Peter checks in on Bella one last time. She was sleeping peacefully. He just looks at her. Peter was afraid to take his eye off her for one second. Afraid that she would disappear on him again. He didn't want that to happen.

He leaves the room and goes back downstairs. Peter and Derek were up most of the night before passing out in the chairs. The next morning when Peter wakes up, he hears movement coming from upstairs, headed towards the stairwell.

When Bella woke up, she was still groggy. The events of the night were a blur to her. Did she dream that her father and cousin came for her?

No. It couldn't be. They don't know where I am. She thought to herself. Bella looked back to the night before. She remembers beating up a tree out of anger until someone stopped her.

"Oh no." she whispered to herself as she got out of bed and scurried down the stairwell. She carefully turns the corner when she sees them sitting comfortably on her couch. Her eyes widened at the sight of them.

Peter smiles at her, "Good morning"

Bella eyes her father, not believing he's actually there in front of her "You're actually here?"

"Where else would I be?"

Bella slowly walks over to take a seat in an empty chair. She was dumbfounded and utterly confused.

"What is it?" Peter asked curiously

"How...How are you here? Why are you here? How did you even find me?" Bella started to ramble questions aimed for Derek and Peter.