CHAPTER 27: Commitments

Bella wakes up later in the early afternoon. After Luke's surprise arrival, she had trouble falling back asleep. When she woke, she expected it all to be a dream but the scent she smells and the senses she feels nearby suggests otherwise.

As she makes her way down the stairs, she glances up to see Luke sitting at her kitchen island, eating. Luke glances back at her "Good afternoon, darling."

"Don't call me that." Bella flushes as she makes her way towards the island. She couldn't help but notice bacon on the counter and reached over to grab a piece, only to have Luke turn to face her, their faces a few inches apart.

"Are you trying to tease me?" Luke smirked

Bella's breath hitches, not really flattered by that comment "No. I just...We need to talk."

"Hmm...why would you want to talk?" Luke asked as he gently brushed his fingers alongside Bella's arm.

Reluctantly, Bella pulls away and of course, Luke lets her. He would never force her to do something she didn't want to do. Her steel blue eyes locked eyes with his darker ones. She tilts her head, biting her lip. The pull was becoming too much to control. Luke couldn't resist anymore. He leans forward to kiss Bella. Luke's fingers card through her hair and he rumbles in his chest, pleased with the action.

Bella pulls away and looks at Luke, startled by his move.

"I shouldn't have done that." Luke gasped "I'm sorry...I should've, I should've asked you first."

Luke panicked and moved over to the couch. Bella surprisingly follows. She sits down and looks down at the floor. Her heart was racing and her cheeks were flushed. "I..."

Bella couldn't get the words out. Luke looked over and could tell just how anxious she was.

"I can't explain it." Bella eventually said "I just feel this pull towards you."

"I'm sorry." He thought for a moment, reluctantly placed a hand on her knee, lightly rubbing his thumb against her jeans. "I can't explain it, either. I'd love to get to know you, for us to get to know each other better." Luke squeezed her knee and stood up, headed back into the kitchen. "And Bella..."

Bella looked up and waited for him to continue

"I feel like, maybe, I need you in my life as well." Luke smiled and turned back towards the kitchen.

Bella froze when she heard Luke say that. Both of them share the same need. This had to be a mate thing as Bella would never need to be near someone she barely even knows. She so wished that she had her father's books with her so she could study all this. But she did not so she would have to make do with what she had.

"What do we know about this whole soulmate thing?" Bella asked Luke

"I know as much as you." Luke replied "Having a mate is so rare in our world that there is barely any information."

"But there are documents on it?'

"I'm sure there are. Somewhere."

The two of them spent the afternoon researching. Most of the information they already know. But some information came as a surprise to them. They have to bond to each other.

"Is this seriously stating what I think it's stating?!" Bella freaked out

"No, look." Luke pointed at the screen. In order for mates to bond with one another, they have to bite each other.

"Oh..." Bella relaxed, "Well, that's not too horrible."

Luke smirked "Did you seriously think that this meant having to have sex with one another?"