CHAPTER 24: Mates

Bella looked at Luke in complete and utter shock. "Excuse me?"

Luke sighed as he looked down "We. Are. Mates "

Bella's mind was spinning.

"Are you crazy!" Bella blurted out,chuckling. "Having a mate is a myth!"

"You find this amusing? Do you think I want to be mates with someone now?! During a time like this? I have to constantly worry for you! Being bonded to someone is extremely rare in our world." Luke explained "Extremely. And when you do, mated couples can feel each other's energy. It's like gravity and electricity. It's like it's a punch to the gut. You don't recognize it immediately but your instincts do. You have this urge to be near each other. Couplings like this are so rare. You could meet that person, talk to that person and never know if he or she is the one. Until..."

"Until what?!"

"Until they touch."

Touch. Bella immediately looked back at the moment that her's and Luke's hands touched when they shook hands three years ago. The electricity charge she had felt when they touched for the first time before falling. That sudden feeling she had in the pit of her stomach when she came to when she was pulled back to the beach.

Bella shook her head as she stood up, nearly losing her balance "No, no way."

Luke stood up in front of her and said nothing as he watched her, taking in the emotions. The emotions were overwhelming. Bella staggered back and forth pacing. Unable to comprehend what was happening. The wry humor left his face, and his eyes warmed up. His forehead creased, like he was worried.

"Are you okay?"he asked, sounding really concerned.

"Me?" Bella stared at him. "Well, I mean, I'm out of commission for a few days and I wake up to see this boy in front of me claiming that we are mates! How would you feel if the roles were reversed!?"

It took Luke a minute to even understand. She babbled on, looking more and more awkward, until Luke got what she was saying. Then he hurried to reassure her. "Hale, it's gonna be alright."

Bella stared for another minute, and then he suddenly frowned."Will it?!" She scowled and shook her head. "Did you know? Back when we met?!"

Luke stood straight. He took a deep breath. When he spoke, he was calm. "Yes."

"I don't even know you! We only met once!"

"I stayed away for as long as I could. But after a while, all I could do was watch from a distance."

"Oh so you're a pervert?" Bella squints her eyes in disgust

"No. I was just watching over you in a protective manner. At least now, we can get to know one another."

Bella scoffed "You make it sound so easy!"

"Would it make you feel better if it weren't?"

"Yeah!"

"Then feel better!"

Bella clenched her teeth together. They were quiet for a moment. He seemed to be waiting for her to say something; Bella was trying to think of something to say.

She stared into space for a moment, and he waited. "If the world was the way it was supposed to be, if there were no monsters and no magic . . ."

Luke could see what she saw. "Are you questioning what could have been if there were no supernatural beings in the world?"

"I've been asking myself that question my whole life." Bella admitted.

He nodded. This was a relief to him. "Are you scared?" he whispered.