CHAPTER 7: Disturbing On Many Levels

Jackson and Ethan waited to call Lydia Martin until after they had left Bella's place. They didn't want to upset her with this. On the trip half way back towards the city, Jackson phoned Lydia.

"Hey, you!" Lydia greeted on the other line happily, excited to have Jackson calling.

"Hey, Lyds. I'm here with Ethan." Jackson tells her.

"What's up?"

"Do you have a moment?" Jackson asked

"Of course, is everything okay?" Lydia questioned

"We're not sure." Ethan said "It's about Bella."

"Bella? Is she alright?"

"We don't know." Jackson said honestly

"What do you mean you don't know?"

Jackson and Ethan looked at each other before speaking.

"Do you recall how you told me that you would draw things? See things before an event takes place and you would draw them out without knowing you were?" Jackson asked her

"You mean how I kept drawing the same tree over and over again?" Lydia said

"Exactly."

"Why are you asking me about this?" she asked

"Because we think Bella is going through something similar." Ethan jumps in

"What do you mean?"

"Bella mentioned her gift of foresight, something that she hadn't dealt with in years. That her gift hasn't fully awakened. When we went to see her today, she displayed some disturbing behaviors."

"Disturbing how?" Lydia questioned

"Bella mentioned having a nightmare. She's been reliving the fire. She took up painting recently. She was painting the same images over and over on multiple canvases. I'm almost certain that she is seeing things while awake"

"Like how I did with the Nemeton." Lydia realizes

"Is there anything going on back in Beacon Hills that we should be aware about?" Jackson asked "Anything that would trigger this?"

"I'm not sure. I..." Lydia paused as she realizes something

"Lydia? What is it?" Jackson asked

"I think I know why Bella is acting this way."

"Tell us."

Lydia sighs "The anniversary of the fire is coming up."

Jackson and Ethan looked at each other with concern.

"Lydia, I'm going to send you some pictures I took." Jackson said as he texted her the pictures.

"Oh." Lydia said as she opened the texts. The paintings were pretty gruesome. "She did these?"

"Yeah."

"This time of year was always the hardest for her. I can't believe I had forgotten. The strange thing is, I've never heard of her behaving this way."

"Is there anything we can do?" Ethan offered

"I don't think there is anything you can do." Lydia said "But, you might want to reach out to Peter."

"Bella made it very clear that she wants nothing to do with anything with her family right now. She left Beacon Hills for a reason." Ethan argued

"But only Peter can help her through this" Lydia argued back "Bella's been through so much. If she is reliving the fire all over again, she's going to need some guidance."