Chapter 53

What's going to happen? When is this going to end? Why is this happening? A handfuls of questions running through my head, with no answer to any of them. Lou is, without a doubt, freaking out right now on my whereabouts, but I was going to get to her no matter what.

With the boy still looking around scared of the falling structures, I was doing my damn hardest not to trip and fall. Who knew I wore heals on the most wrong day ever? Can't change that now.

My father, please note I said 'father' without dry heaving, has definitely got his way. Not for much longer though. Switching back to reality, me and what's his name ducked under a huge piece of concrete from the ceiling probably, trying to get to Lou.

Grabbing onto his shirt and dragging him around is definitely my idea of fun, if it was a different situation. But  it sure wasn't my idea of fun in this one, particularly. I was tired of his weeping, 'let me go' and ' he's gonna kill me' and what not. It was starting to get annoying.

Turning to him, I said, "Listen man, if you don't shut it in the next 5 seconds, I'm gonna have to pummel you into the ground." He looked at me with teary, bloodshot eyes, a sad gaze and lips quivering as if someone had bullied him.

My god, such a baby. Thinking to myself as I noticed the screams of the people that were previously here, had subsided into silence, besides the fire crackling, bits of the walls and ceiling still falling onto the ground and the flickering lights.

This went on for much further, until we finally got to where I wanted to go. The problem was, it was completely sealed.

"What is it? Why did we stop?" He asked in a panic.

"Its blocked." I said in a disappointed tone. This couldn't get harder, now could it?

"Where do we go now? Can you let me go?" He asked, hopeful of my answering.

What he got was expected to us, unexpected to him. "I don't know, and no."

Hearing him curse loudly as he kicked a scrap nearby, I tried to think of a way out and a way back to Lou and the bomb. Speaking of which, I checked my wrist watch, it was 3:44 PM when they set it. Now it was 3:47 PM.

Well that's not good.

As the saying goes, the biggest understatement of the year. God this was not good in any shape or form. What am I going to do?

Thinking back to where I went chasing after the kid behind me, that was currently crying, I thought if I go down that emergency escape, I could get back to this floor by manual stairs or the escalator on the first floor. Now that was a plan, only problem was, I have to do It in less that 3 minutes.

Meaning, the clock was ticking and I needed to react swiftly, and quick.

Snatching him by the collar and yelling a loud 'Lets go!' we were quickly off to where we came from.

Jumping over the same scarps we jumped over, and going under the same pieces we went under, we quickly got to the staircase. Checking my watch, we had killed 50 seconds. We have to move faster

"Come on I need you to keep up!" I yelled at him as he quickened his pace as best as he could, due to his previous injury. A flight of stairs later, we were down to the first floor, at the end of the wide walk-way, where previously stood proud stores selling overpriced products that no one's ever going to buy, I caught a glimpse of Lou running to the end and checking her surroundings before disappearing.

I wanted badly to chase after her, but with her still in the building, I needed for this kid to diffuse the bomb. And there was only a minute left.

Panicking, I quickly grabbed his arm and went up the escalator to where the bomb was located, and the spot where I ditched Lou.

Lou's POV

I cannot believe she just ran off like that! What exactly is she trying to do, get herself killed?! I swear this girl is getting more and more unpredictable with each passing day. The guys that were pushing each other were out of this mall and into wherever the hell that hole led them to.

I shouted her name so many times my voice started getting hoarse, I gave up on that idea, but I had promised her to get her out of there no matter what.

I went over to where he planted the bomb, the reader on it showed numbers in a bright blue color, 5 minute left.

Dove for God's sake, where are you? I started to look around the hall, but to no avail. Hearing cracks above my head, almost as if this was a movie, I slowly looked above my head just as it was coming down. Moving fast and throwing myself as hard as I could to the side by pushing my feet as hard as they could push.

Coughing uncontrollably, with dust in my eyes, definitely in my lungs too, I got up to wipe my eyes seeing the path Dove probably ran off on, was blocked.

This was an absolute nightmare. What am I going to do? I went back over to the bomb seeing the clock having only 3 minutes left on it. Panic or no panic? For sure panic.

I started my way to the escalator and ran down as fast as I could to take the emergency escape up to the same floor I was on. I turned the corner and ran straight down the huge corridor, looking around frantically to see where the emergency sign would be. Again, I came short.

Is it possible that this was the end of us? Just like that? We haven't even been together for long, and this is how it ends?! I refuse to let it.

With a new found hope, I collected my thoughts and came to a rational decision, I started back to where I turned the corner, looking down the hall I finally spotted the emergency exit. Yes!

I ran as fast as I could towards it, breathing heavily and getting dust in my eyes and lungs but I didn't care, I just had to get to her before it's too late.

Reaching the stairs, and going up as fast as I could, I saw a trail of fresh blood, once I reached the top. Concerned and scared that this might be Dove's, I tracked the trail with my eyes, seeing it round the corner where I preciously was. I followed it as it kept going down the not too long hall, it was where I finally saw her, about too, what looked like, un-belt a kid that had tears streaming down his face.

Just as she was done, she pointed him to the bomb, which I was sure had no longer than a minute left on it. A minute!

As if realization herself hit me with 50 pounds of freshly crafted bricks, I stomp-ran my way over there, with shortened breath and not much of lung capacity left to keep me running, I tripped over my own feet hitting my head hard against the ground.

Opening my eyes just enough to see her standing over the kid, with one swift move and her not expecting it, he turned and punched her hard in the face. Watching her fall to the ground with a large thud.

Willing my body and mind to get up and off the ground to pick her up and run off with the time we have left, my eyes betrayed my by closing slowly as her voice called out to me one last time.