Chapter 28

"There you go, D. You got it come on, just a few more!" My dad yelled from across the concrete floor, we were on the street, and as my dad promised me to teach me how to ride a bike on my birthday.

Once I reached him, his hands already picked me up when I was falling, the bike fell to the floor as I was on my dads hip, celebrating that I actually knew how to ride a bike. I was so excited.

"You did it!" I screamed as I hugged him tightly.

"I did nothing, you did all the work!" He tickled my stomach lightly as I giggled.

"No, silly, you didn't let me fall!" I hugged him again, as his hand caressed my hair.

"Well of course, I wouldn't let my babygirl fall on my watch, now would I?" He spoke with a huge smile on his face.

I shook my head as I giggled, biting my nail as I stared into his eyes. Dad was an amazing dad, you know the kind of father that spends time with you no matter how much work he's got on his plate, the kind of father that can comfort you at any time and anywhere. And the kind of father that will catch you if you fell.

"Hey guys! Come on dinner is ready!" I heard my mom yell from our doorstep as I looked over, and saw her standing with her hands on her hips, a small smile playing on her lips, and dressed in an apron.

"We'll be there, honey!" He yelled back and set me down, as I tried adjusting my bike he started speaking.

"Hey, little D." He called for me as I looked up into his golden eyes.

"Yes?" I answered and waited.

"Let me tell you a little secret." She motioned for me to get closer.

"Oh wow, a secret? I love secrets, I've always wanted to keep one." I spoke excitedly and he chuckled at my silliness as I neared him.

"One day you're gonna grow up, get married and have kids, just like mommy and me." He said as he gestured between all of us.

I nodded my head and smiled at what the future could hold for me. I just couldn't wait to grow up!

"Just know that, no one in this world can love you as much as I do." He said softly, as he gently grabbed my hand.

"Really?" I said as I looked straight into his eyes, wanting that secret to last.

"Yes, and if I'm not holding your hand, I'll always have your back, little D." He said and kissed my forehead.

"I love you, daddy." I said and hugged him tightly.

"I love you too, Dove." He hugged me back.

———

"I hate you." I opened my eyes as those words left my mouth, quietly.

I looked around to see that we're still in that car on our way to the airport. Kelly and Nina were sleeping on each other, as Lou was giving me a confused look as she was sitting next to me.

"You okay?" She brushed a few strands of hair out of my face, and studied my expression.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I looked down at my lap, and started fidgeting with my fingers.

"Hey, no you're not fine." She grabbed my hands and put them in her lap, and laid hers on mine.

I clenched my jaw at the dream I just had. It was a memory. It happened very randomly, as I would unlock a memory from the past, that I swore would forget.