29

"We'll be going to Ilocos for an outreach program two days from now. All of us."

Vida was stunned upon hearing his grandfather. Lahat sila? They couldn't even stay in one room without arguing. And also, she hates outreach programs. It reminds her about what happened five years ago.

When her mother left her.

"I'll stay here, Papa. Busy po ako sa school—"

"I already talked to your dean, he's fine with it." Ferdinand remarked.

Vida sighed. "I don't want to, Papa."

Natahimik ang lahat sa diretsahang pananalita ni Vida.

"You have to, Mi Vida... Also, nandoon naman ako, I won't let anything horrible happen..."

Vida bit the insides of her cheek as she sighed in defeat. She left all of them there, and went to her room here in her grandparents house. Agad siyang sumampa sa kama, she covered herself under the sheets.

She promised herself three years ago that she won't be supporting any outreach programs. But here she is now, needing to attend one in her mother's side of the family's hometown.

She heard someone come inside her room, nasa ilalalim pa rin siya ng comforter.

"Vida..." she heard her Tita-Mama, Aimee.

Agad siyang lumabas sa pagkakatalukbong at hinarap si Aimee. She sat down on her bed and rested her head on the headboard. Aimee looked at her in a very loving way. Lumapit siya kay Vida at umupo sa tabi nito, she held her niece's hand.

"You good?"

Vida shook her head. "I don't want to go, Tita-Mama... Please tell Papa..."

Napabuntong-hininga si Aimee. "But you need to, babe... Just think of it like it's a family gathering... Ayaw mo 'nun, kumpleto tayo... Madalas natin 'tong i-wish noon 'di ba?"

Tahimik lamang si Vida at nakikinig.

"Ngayon nga lang ulit tayo kumpleto na uuwi ng Ilocos tas hindi ka pa sasama..." Aimee pouted. "Please? Papa will be there... Mama will be there too..." Aimee said referring to Ferdinand and Imelda, her parents.

Napakagat labi si Vida bago nakasagot. "I'm scared, Tita-Mama..." bulong nito habang nakayuko ng konti.

"Why?"

"Baka maiwan na naman po ako ulit... Baka iwanan na naman po ako..." she forced herself to not tear up, tiningnan niya si Aimee at pilit na ngumit.

Aimee kissed her niece's hand. "Pero ako... Si Tita-Mama mo, hindi ka iiwan... I promised you 'di ba?"

Vida shook her head continuously as she started to tear up. "I don't like promises. I don't like outreach programs... I don't like those things anymore, Tita-Mama..." Vida pouted as her tears roamed down her cheek.

Aimee can't help but to tear up. Agad niyang pinunasan ang luha ni Vida. She saw how Vida suffered and when she started hating promises and outreach programs, everything that reminded her for Irene leaving her.

"Ibahin mo si Tita-Mama... I will always keep my promise to you, Vida... When did I ever break one? Hmm? You love helping, honey... You always loved helping people... You would always tell me when you were younger that helping is your purpose... Where is it now?" may halong pagsusumamo ang nasa tono ni Aimee.

"That just reminded me of Mom leaving me, Tita-Mama... Ayaw ko nang maalala 'yun... Ayaw ko nang bumalik sa ganoon..." Vida sobbed.

"I know... I know, babe..." she caressed Vida's face. "But hindi ka na maiiwan ngayon... You won't be left alone... Papa and Mama will be there. Momita, Tito-Dad, and Tita-Mama will be there, baby... Your Mommy, Tito Kyd and baby Vico will be there... You won't be alone... and I won't let that happen..."