6

THIRD PERSON POV:

"Earth and water might impede our escape... but the sky is free! Even here in the darkest depths, there remains a spark of hope."

"These are... my wings? With these wings... can I fly freely in the sky?"

"Icarus, listen to me. Freedom can addle the mind. Arrogance can lead to death. Even the birds exercise caution when they fly."

"This seems like a waste of taxpayer money." Ayanokoji walked into the theatre and sat down next to Chabashira Sensei.

"Fly too close to the ocean, and the sea spray will weigh down your wings."

"A few days ago, a certain man contacted the school." Chabashira's voice was powerful but not loud enough to disturb the audience watching the act.

"But neither must you soar too high,"

"'Expel Ayanokoji Kiyotaka,' he said." Chabashira continued.

"For the sun will melt your wings made of wax."

Ayanokoji closed his eyes. "I wonder what that could mean. I don't know who that person was, but you can't expel someone without a reason."

"I'll be okay. I can do it."

"Icarus!"

Chabashira crossed her arms. "Naturally. So long as you're a student here, the rules will protect you."

"Father, watch me!"

"Of course, if you cause any trouble, that's another matter altogether."

The audience 'woahed' and applauded the play when seeing the actor playing Icarus levitate off the ground and flap his wings.

"I'm flying... Father, watch me!"

"Sorry to inform you," Ayanokji opened his eyes. But unlike the arrogant Icarus, I don't pick fights with the sun."

"I'm flying! Look how small Crete has become! The sun is so close..."

Chabashira crossed one leg over the other. "Your intentions aren't a factor."

"Icarus! You must not get too close to the sun!"

"If I decide you're a problem, that's what you are."

"Icarus!"

"... Are you threatening me?" Ayanokoji asked without taking his eyes of the scene.

"Oh, it's so beautiful!"

"I'm offering a trade."

"Return! You must return!"

"If you will attempt to reach class A, I'll cover for you, unilaterally."

"Fly higher, higher..."

"A good deal, don't you think?"

"Icarus!!"

Ayanokoji glanced at the teacher. "It's out of the question." He stood up to leave when Chabashira spoke again.

"Oh, how can this be?!"

"Then I'm afraid, Ayanokoji... you're going to be expelled... and lose your freedom."

Ayanokoji snatched Chabashira Sensei's collar in his hand, his poker face remaining unchanged.

"Gods of Olympus, place a curse upon me."

"You call yourself a teacher?"

"I'm the one who killed the baby bird who did not know how to fly."