Chapter 18

"Can I take it off now?"

"...No."

"Well too bad. It thawed anyway."

"Wait-"

Lucien didn't even try to listen to the thief's protests, and just tossed the ice pack into the trash can. It was almost worth seeing Caspian's semi-shocked face.

"Do you mind if I still... stay here? I know it's a lot, but-"

"Sure. I need to go for a walk anyway and you need rest."

"Why are you going for a walk?"

"I saw more signups for a 1v1 later. Hopefully I can get some influence, and even better, gold. Plus, it should be fast. It's happening the day after tomorrow."

"You're still sore-"

"Not as bad as you, so I'll sign up. You'll stay here, as you wanted."

"But-"

"Take my bed, I'll sleep on the couch. See you."

"I-"

The door was shut swiftly. Caspian just stood there, a little disappointed, again, but the French man was right, he was tired, sore, and needed sleep. Plus, he was coming back soon, so no need for worry.

Caspian checked the bed and was quite tempted to just flop down on the couch, after all, he was cared for. Then again, he asked to stay here. And also was the guest. He kind of shot himself in the head.

Better to just agree anyways. The thief sighed and just snuggled in, defeated. He hated to admit it, but it was pretty comfy. The regret did dissolve though, and Caspian was able to sleep soundly.

Well, except for that one time at 1 where he felt some shuffling. He was but too tired still, and just assumed it was Lucien checking on him.

He woke up later, normal time, and was fully awake to find out what it was. Needless to say, he wasn't half-wrong. Lucien was there, just not in the way expected.

The French man was right next to him, snuggled just a little around one of the thief's arms, softly snoring. When Caspian focused, he noticed that Lucien's face was digging a little bit into his arm, and his breathing could be felt on his shoulder. It was cute, just like him.

Oh how badly he just wanted to hug Lucien close to him. Too bad Caspian knew that if he made one off movement Lucien would probably wake up in an instant. Well maybe if he could just-

"Mhm...?"

Well shit.

Caspian made an attempt to move, but as expected, the highwayman stiffened and shuffled before literally(and in an inhuman way) snapping alive and aware. As if instinct kicked in, Lucien tackled Caspian and glared for a few good seconds before jumping off, scared and possibly upset. Maybe even surprised.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"

"YOU TOLD ME TO SLEEP HERE REMEMBER?! WHERE WERE YOU?!"

"I SIGNED UP AND HAD A GODDAMN DRINK OKAY?! WHY ARE WE STILL YELLING?!"

"BECAUSE YOU STILL STARTED IT! IT'S TOO EARLY IN THE MORNING TO ARGUE."

The highwayman glared at him, but he was quiet now.

"I mean... was it comfy-"
"YOU CANNOT BE THINKING ABOUT THIS HAPPENING AG-"
"I'M NOT! I JUST WANNA MAKE SURE YOU'RE OKAY! NOW CAN WE STOP YELLING?!"

"FINE!"

"FINE!"

Lucien seemed surprised at the snap, but then quickly changed back to his neutral, bored face.

"I was okay. I just forgot..."
"Are you sure it's just not the drink talking?"

"...Yes."
"That pause says a lot."

Lucien just glared before scoffing

"Maybe it does. Why does it matter?"
"Look, just tell me if you feel better."
"...My shoulder didn't glow in the dark so the crack wasn't that bad. How about that?"

"...Sure?"
"Great. I'll go out again. I have some plans."
"May I join you?"

"It's... private, in fact, you can leave now, you seem like... yourself."
"Always have been."

"Just... god I have no words."

Caspian giggled and opened the window.

"Okay then! I'll be out!"
"Don't-"
"No. Don't you start, you did this yourself, so bye!"

The thief dashed off and the highwayman looked out at the figure dashing out. It seemed that the curtains were open. And to be honest, the warmth did feel nice, even if it was accidental.

Lucien just sighed and closed the window.

Okay, now to start. Officially.

---------------------------------------------------

It feels like every single chapter keeps getting shorter and shorter- I hate this. Hopefully the next chapter will be better. Maybe. Sorry about this.