Two

Chapter TwoMya BrownLos Angeles, California

Chapter Two
Mya Brown
Los Angeles, California

Click, click.
Flash, flash

The sounds of the cameras swarming me and my own heartbeat were the only two things that I could hear, as me, Mariah, and two bodyguards made our way inside of the building where our lawyers were.

It's true.

Chris filed for legal separation the next day after I told him about Royalty. A few days after that, his stuff was moved out of our house. I don't know where he's staying, we don't speak. I've tried, multiple times but he just doesn't want to talk to me. Depression and anxiety is hitting me hard. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I just want to fix this.

I really thought I was doing the right thing but after the millionth person told me I was wrong, it clicked.

When we got inside of the elevator, I leaned against the wall and tried to catch my breath but it seemed as if that was impossible. I felt Mariah's hand rub the upper part of my back. "Deep breaths Mya, deep breaths." She said to me. Listening to her breathing pattern, I was able to calm down a little bit.

I was very nervous.

The walk to the meeting room, seemed like the longest walk ever. It took everything in me not to turn around and run. Being here means that I'm okay with this and I'm not. How can he just walk away so easily?

My security guard Malcom, opened the conference room door and I stepped inside. My eyes went directly to Chris. His focus was on his hands that sat in his lap. Just from his fidgeting, I could tell he was nervous too.

"Thank you for joining us Mya." Mark said. I nodded and took my seat across from Chris. The papers for us to sign sat right between us. Why can't this be a bad dream?! We could've worked this out! "Deposition part one. Christopher Brown vs. Mya Anderson-Brown. Christopher has filed for legal separation from his wife of nine years. Christopher has started this process because in the state of California, a married couple must be separated for a minimum of two years before a petition for divorce can be filed."

My eyes shot up. I looked between Mark and Chris. "Divorce? Is the situation really that bad that you have to do this?!" I basically yelled at Chris but he never looked at me, just over at his lawyer, but I could see his jaw clenching and the tension in his body.

Diane gently touch my hand. "It's okay Mya."

"It's not okay." Tears filled my eyes. "We don't have to do this. He's leaving me for what? Trying to protect his daughter?!"