Chapter Thirty: Cold War

        A few hours later, Mikhail was sending me through a new wave of irritation. What had I expected thinking that he would actually be able to get along with me for a certain period of time? Sometimes, I liked a lot of things about. Sometimes, I disliked him to the point of wanting to hurt him. This was one of those times and this time I had actually decided that rather than fight with him, I was going to give him a different kind of treatment. I mean, why was I always the one who was made to look like an overreacting prick?
Everyone around me seemed to feel as though they had to walk on eggs shells around me.

        Around this pack house, I had heard myself called, “bitch”, “control freak”, “ice queen”, and so many other names. It was too many to go down the list. Needless to say, they seemed to believe that Mikhail and I were there source of entertainment and that this investigation would be a joke. It wouldn’t. I was going to take that damn thing serious. I was going to go start acting like Nancy Drew around here. They’d see soon enough. I was going to find any and all that could on them.

         In the meanwhile, I wouldn’t speak to Mikhail.

        He had his damn nerves trying to tell me that I was sentenced to staying in the house because of my pizza stunt.  Who did he think he was? He wasn’t my Daddy or anyone who ran anything. As the King, he had ensured it by making it an official command. That had hurt my feelings. It really had. Here, I had thought that we were doing good, but then he’d come with this. I wasn’t even sure why to be honest. I was done thinking about it for now.

        I turned my thoughts onto other things. Things like the fact that he could place an order like that over me and we were supposed to be equlas made me wish that I had never met him. I would never place an order over him like that. It made me realize that we weren’t as equal as I had thought we were. He had not only offended my pride, but he had taken a simple right away from me. I couldn’t even go outside without his permission. He had been calm and quiet, which was why I hadn’t known what to expect from him.

        Mikhail and I would not be talking for any reasons at all.

        He was going to receive the silent treatment from me.

        As far as I was concerned, he had brought it upon himself. He deserved everything that he got. It was as they said, “You reap what you sow.” He had done what he had done and now he’d face the music. I was going to treat him as if he was just another stranger on the streets. He had disrespected to the utmost and for that he’d find that we were at war.
Walking from the room where I had been resting on the couch and thinking, I glared at Mikhail when I passed him in the hall. I could just by glancing over at him that he had wanted to see me. I continued forward ignoring him. I had better things to do with my time like visiting with Tyron and making sure that he knew he had a friend in me.

        “Jade,” he called following me.

        I rolled my eyes and continued on my way. I knew by the sound of the deep sigh that left him a few moments later that he was becoming irritated with me. I didn’t care at all.

        You can’t ignore me, honey, he said inside of my head. We need to talk about the investigation that’s under progress.  How are we going to work on this together?

        I didn’t reply to him; instead, I began to let my own mind wonder. How was I going to go about this investigation? How was going to get Tyron to help me pin this bastards that had attacked him.

        Along my way to the kitchen, Mikhail grabbed my arm. It wasn’t a hard grip or even bruising, but I still threw him a glare before snatching my arm from his grip to continue on my way. Not even a few seconds later, he was holding my wrist again. It was gentle but it was firm. I tugged at my wrist and couldn’t free it. I turned and looked at him with irritation. I bit my tongue hard to not say what I really wanted to say: “Bug off!” So when the pain shot through my tongue from biting it, I sent him a ferocious look.

 “What the hell is your problem?” he snapped at me as he looked at me. He pulled me close to him and stared down into my eyes. His amethyst purple eyes held

        I was so tempted to respond to him with my mouth, but I didn’t. Instead, I just turned with a huff, walked into the kitchen, and glanced over at the people in the kitchen. There were a few pack members and my Mom, Dad, the Alpha and Tyron. I walked over to them and smiled slightly. I had already decided to speak with the Alpha rather than Mikhail. It was bound to cause two strong reactions from him.         The first being anger and the second being determination to gain my absolute attention. Too bad he wouldn’t have much luck with the other.                                                 He fucking placed his orders over me.

        He’d get his wish, but he wouldn’t get me along with it. I was pissed and I couldn’t get pass the hurt I felt. He may as well have put a damn collar and leash around my neck. I felt restricted in a way that I had never felt before. Somehow, knowing that I couldn’t leave the house of my free will made me feel as if I had lost all freedom. It was something new and the funny thing is that Mikhail didn’t see anything wrong with that at all. He didn’t even seem to have a clue of what he had just done. He had gained about six feet before with his laid back calm, with this he had lost about twenty feet. He was on my fucking shit list.

        “Hey,” I greeted the others.

        “Jade,” my Mom said, getting up and coming over to me. She hugged me and kissed my forehead, “let’s have a mother and daughter day today.”  She seemed to have sympathy in her eyes.

        Oh that was another thing. Mikhail had said the fucking command in front of the whole pack and in their presence; Ihad to submit to him. I had lost some of my grounding in their eyes and I knew it.

       “Of course,” I responded smiling. My smile didn’t quite reach my eyes. I’d have to have my bonding day with my Mom in the Alpha’s fucking house. We couldn’t go town or anything else. And I’d be damned if I asked him to go anywhere. My face scrunched into a scowl.  

        “Alright, what do you say to movies and popcorn?” my Mom asked with a light smile.

      “Perfect,” I said, “as long as the popcorn has chocolate drizzled over it.” That was only the best popcorn ever. Caramel popcorn was good to, but to me that was best the absolute best popcorn.

     My Mom nodded her head and looked over the pack members. She nodded her head elegantly and for once, I wondered what was going through her head about my Dad and the Alpha. Maybe we could talk about that. I missed this with my Mom. It wasn’t too often that we got together and sat down and talked about boys, drama, love and advice. “Let’s find a room and go.”

        She nodded and talked to one of the pack members for a moment and then we both left to go wherever it was that the guy had said to go. We walked down the hall and then went up the stairs. No one was using the room across from the Alpha’s office and that room also had a TV and entertainment system. I walked in and immediately got comfortable while my Mom set things up.

        “So, Mom how are things with you and that Alpha and Dad?” I asked curiously.

        She turned to me with a smile. “Oh, honey, let me tell you,” she said after the movie had started and she was seated next to me. “Albert can be a headache. One moment, he’s normal with me, and then the next he’s wanting something else from me. He wants all of my attention and when your father looks at me, he’s angry.” She sighed. “Then, he sits back and talks about you and how much you need to be kept in control.”

        I arched an eyebrow at that. I’d kick that Alpha’s ass, he had better gone somewhere. I didn’t see him saying any of this shit to my face. He knew better. He had only saw that one act of power. I may not have known much about being in control, but I could fight. As an Alpha’s daughter, I had been raised to take care of myself. I didn’t reach the status of a pack fighter, but I could defend myself.

        She looked over at me. “What about you and Mikhail?” she asked, quietly. She had neatly avoided speaking about my Father, which frustrated me. She couldn’t care about that Alpha. Forget him, I’d kidnap my own Mother to save her from herself if the need arose.

        “Mikhail and I aren’t anything as far as I’m concerned,” I told her. “He may be my mate, but he sure knows how to fuck things up.”

        She slapped my arm. “Watch your damn mouth,” she said.

        I blushed and looked down sheepishly and nodded my head. “Yes, Momma,” I told her with a slight smile.

        “Honey, he’s your mate. You’ll have your fights and your ups and downs, but if there is one thing that you’ll learn it is that marked mates can’t resist each other for long. Soon you’ll be in heat and he’ll be the only one able to soothe you.”

        I gaped looking at her horrified. “In heat?!” I shouted.

        Oh hell no!