Chapter Thirteen: Arrogance Shall Lead the Way...

I lay down on the bed with my hands under my chin staring at the TV with boredom. This was more boring than I had planned. I had one room to myself and in the other were Lucca and Bella. The two of them were starting to get on my nerves. They were being all lovey dovey and reminding me all too much of what I didn't have in my life. It made me jealous and long for what they had. I wanted someone that would belong solely to me and that I would belong solely to. I wanted a man who would cherish me for who I was and all that I was capable of, flaws and all. I looked out the window thinking of James and Gwen and tears filled my eyes. He had found his mate and they were getting along just peachy if things were to be shown from how I found them.

I had a mate and the only thing that he wanted was a rag doll that he could control. I wasn't a rag doll. I would never freely take orders. I was my own person and I enjoyed being me. I was the only person who could tell me what to do. I didn't like authority figures or egoistic jerks who thought they ran the planet just because he had convinced the werewolf society that he was their king. I wouldn't fall under that category and it would be a cold day in hell before I willingly went into his arms he would have to get over the idea that I was going to be his just because Mother Nature said so. He was going to have to work for me.

"Jade," Bella said, softly knocking on the door.

I rolled over onto my stomach and turned on the TV using the remote. "Come in," I said, starting to flip through channels.

The door opened and Bella and Lucca both entered the room walking over to the bed and sitting down. I didn't look at them for a moment because I didn't want to see their unity that they shared as mates, happy mates. I finally turned and looked at them both. They immediately smiled.

"We came to talk to you about our alpha. There are things that you don't know about, things that don't excuse him as a man but may give you a better perspective on the kind of man that he is," Lucca said.

Oh great, I thought. Now I get to hear even more about the arrogant, cocky bastard.

I groaned out loud and turned back to the TV. I wasn't interested in learning about Mikhail right now. I wanted to relax and take my mind off of the man that thought I wasn't worthy of him. As if he wasn't worthy of a shred of me, not even a single strand of my hair. I was Jade Scott, future female alpha of the Meirde pack. I had a family and friends waiting for me back in Leighton. I didn't need some cocky bastard to make me feel good about myself.

Well then why are you still stressing about what he said then? was the question that ran through my mind.

There were many men who thought I was more than worthy of them, werewolves who would love to mate with a girl like me. I had a variety of different men from my pack that wanted me to be their mates. Just because one cocky, self-centered alpha said that I wasn't worthy of him didn't mean that I wasn't worthy of him or any other man. Ha! I was more than worthy of that bastard. He'd know soon enough when I found someone else to mate. Then he'd be wishing that he had a mate like me.

I nodded my head to myself, giving myself that slight comfort.

"Mikhail may or may not have told you but he's over a thousand years old. None of us know his actual age but he's been searching for a mate for hundreds of years-" Bella started to say.

I interrupted her. "I don't care how old he is or what he wants," I said in finality. "I don't care to hear some excuse as to why he is the way he is. All I care is staying as far away from him as I can. I refuse to mate with an egoistic asshole with no consideration for me."