Chapter Thirty-Four: The Proposition

I looked over at the Alpha wondering exactly what it was that he wanted to offer me. What was it he thought that he had that would make me want to negotiate with him? Wait…what did he want to negotiate about? I narrowed my eyes as I contemplated. Surely, he wasn’t going to try and bribe me into getting Mikhail to drop the charges on this pack, or perhaps help him keep his Alpha position? Nah, I wouldn’t do that. Not in a heartbeat. He could go and jump off a cliff first. Now would I lie to him and take in his confidence and let him fall further downhill, while telling of his plans? Yes. At this appealing thought, I smiled.

“What do you want?” I finally came out and said.

“I want to make you an offer,” he started.

He was silent and didn’t say anything. I sighed. I suppose this was his way of trying to let me know that he was hoping to build up suspense and have me impatiently jumping up and down saying, “What offer, Alpha? What offer?” He wanted to hope that I’d be dying to finish this little game of his. I guess in an alternative reality I’d be doing that. However, this wasn’t an alternative reality and I wasn’t on giddy and happy, cheerful terms with him.

Instead, I disliked this man with a passion. Well if he could be considered a man. So, this time I folded my arms across my chest and said, “Spit it out, bastard.”

At that he growled and glared at me, once more. I smiled in return and looked at him, tapping my foot impatiently. “Well?” I snapped.

He looked at me with a sour expression on his face, then he continued.  “I’ll help you get away from Mikhail, if you’ll help me win over your Mother.”

I arched an eyebrow at this. I was surprised. He wanted my help winning my Mom over? He didn’t want to retain his position as Alpha? That surprised me but it also amused. There was no way in hell that I was helping a bastard like him win over my Mom. My Mom and Dad were perfect together. She didn’t need some power abusing asshole like him. Not to mention he thought that I wanted to get away from Mikhail? I shook my head inwardly.

Stupid man, I thought, you don’t know the first thing about me.

If I wanted to be away from Mikhail I would be. He got on my nerves a lot but it was to be expected. Mikhail may have went a bit off the edge with his actions and such, but he was my mate and I wanted to be around him. I’d never admit that to Mikhail, but I was still with him because I wanted to be.

“There’s no way—no chance in hell that I’d ever help you win over my Mom. She’s happy with who she’s with,” I snapped, refolding my arms over my chest. “Besides, aren’t you the one who was trying to get me into trouble for “interfering with mates”?”

I looked over at him and he snarled.

“You’re going to help me, you pesky brat,” he snapped.

I laughed loudly. “Actually, this “pesky brat” is going to go talk to her mate about arrogant, presumptuous Alphas who offer to help her escape the King. You overstep yourself, bastard. Why I do believe this can be interpreted as interfering with mates?”

Right before my eyes his face turned red with rage and without warning he charged forward and tackled me to the ground. His hands found purchase around my throat and he squeezed. I reached forward with my hands and attempted to remove his hands from around my throat while I choked, trying to gain air. I thrashed beneath him, my legs kicking at thin air.

As I stared up into his eyes, I saw my life flash before my eyes. I couldn’t help but wonder, if this was how I was going to die.

It was such a simple thing. A small turn of events that I hadn’t even imagined. I hadn’t seen this coming. I hadn’t imagined this coming. As the moments passed, I felt my body slowly becoming weak from lack of air, and my thrashing came to a halt. Stars formed behind my eyes and my vision went black.