Chapter Thirty-Nine: Distortions

My throat was pretty sore for the week after that. I only spoke through telepathy. My mom and dad kept stuffing me with tea mixed with honey and ice cubes. The endless supply of the supposed remedy made me feel suffocated. Mikhail wouldn't leave my side to save the world. The two week probation for mates between my mom, dad and the Alpha had been terminated. My mom had made her decision pretty clear. Mikhail's decision had been made as well. He was taking the pack away from him.

The problem was that the pack needed a new alpha.

I wasn't up to looking for one. We were staying until a new alpha took over. Leighton seemed so far away. Mikhail wanted to stay and make sure that there wasn't an outbreak of fights to determine leadership of the pack. I had no idea of who would even make a great alpha for the Brimstone members. It didn't seem like any of them would. The person who had to be chosen to fulfill the role would have to be accepted by the pack, or we'd be in the same position as before: mutiny on our hands.

Sighing, I processed the idea of what the pack needed. It was full of members who didn't have any problem bullying one another. They had no qualms about hurting each other and saying vile words that cut to the quick. I knew that first hand. They had been secretly laughing at me because of the altercation with the alpha. At times some of the females in the pack treated me with glances of disdain that almost said that they felt that I wasn't worthy of being by Mikhail's side. Maybe I was imagining some of the glares, but not all of them.

It wasn't my problem if their former alpha had been an asshole in need of a good ass whooping. He needed someone to put him in line. We'd decided that he was going back with us to Leighton. In Leighton he would face Mikhail's council and they would decide his fate. Mikhail wanted to be a part of the decision makers, but I had turned him down. He was too biased by as was I. Our testimonies and the testimonies of Tyron oughta be enough to put him in place. What the council decided from there on out was out of my hands.

"Jade, honey," my mom started speaking. I held in a groan and waited as she entered the room with a cup of steaming hot tea. I was already tired of the tea. I could speak times, but I wasn't fully able to do so, but I was just about there. A few more days and I predicted that I'd be fine. Every time I saw that damn alpha, I glared at him. "I brought you some more tea. This isn't green tea, either. It's chamomile tea. You know it has really great restorative properties."

I looked at the cup in distaste. "No thanks," I husked.

She looked at me for a moment, before one eyebrow shot up. "Young lady," she chided, sternly, "you are going to take this tea and drink it all up."

I dropped my head onto my chest glancing up at the ceiling as if to ask it to help me. My mom sure had become bossier than ever. She was always yelling at Ryan and Jonathon who was one of the few people who kept me laughing these days. He really was an amusing guy, even if he was a bit dense in the head.

"Fine," I muttered, snatching the cup and accidentally spilling some of the hot contents over my lap. I winced.

"Serves you right," my mom snipped.

I opened and closed my mouth, then shook my head and took a deep sip from the cup. As the hot liquid poured down my throat I could definitely feel the effects of it working through my sore throat. It felt amazing, though the taste of it was disgusting. That was another thing about the tea my mom gave me: she refused to add honey or sweetener of any sort.

As my mind finally processed that always not too far behind her was my dad with glasses of ice. He claimed that her tea was scorching hot and burned away the soreness while ice cooled and soothed the soreness. Sure enough, he entered the room with a cup of ice and a smile.

"Here, sweetie," he said walking over and handing me the cup. He glanced down spotting the spillage of tea on my lap and the looked over at my mom. "Tsk. You really oughta clean your mess up, Jillian."

She laughed and he smiled. "She did it to herself," my mom snitched.

I shook my head as he released his grip from the glass completely. It slightly tilted and almost spilled the ice over my lap. Not far behind them would be Mikhail. Mikhail refused to stay away from me for more than five minutes and whenever my parents came, he returned to shoo them because apparently they took away too much of my energy. As my mom and dad continued to joke around, I curled up on my side sitting both cups on the side table by the bed.

That was another thing since Mikhail's attempted seduction last week my body had went through drastic changes. My body was always overheated, a consistent throb was between my legs, my breasts were especially tender and seem to rise to attention at everything (including small breezes), and my entire body seemed to lean towards being with Mikhail. I was aching for him and I wanted him so badly, but I was resisting. It kept me on bed rest of my own doing. I slept a lot to avoid the symptoms that I knew were only the beginning stages of heat.