Chapter Thirty-Six: The Fact of the Matter is...

Her voice continued to whisper in my mind and I was on the verge of insanity, most definitely. She was gone. I hadn’t seen even the slightest motion of breath coming from her body. My Jade was gone and now a ghost was telling me to spare the life of her killer. I wouldn’t let the scum of the earth who had caused me to lose my Jade to live. No, he was going to die.

No, he’s not. Let him live. Take him to the Council, the ghost said. This isn’t like you, Mikhail. Follow your own damn laws. If you expect me to follow them, then it’s only damn fair that you do so.

I lifted my hands to my head for a moment confused and dazed by this voice. Jade? I questioned, hesitation in my voice.

Who else do you think resides in your head, other than the one you bit? came the sarcastic reply. I suppose this is the part where you tell me to get a hold of myself and don’t talk to you that way because you’re the King of Werewolves and I’m your mate…and yada, yada…right? Wrong, I’m not leaving your head and you’re not killing that Alpha. I won’t let you.

No she wasn’t real, I decided. Hotheaded Jade would never agree to let this pathetic piece of shit live. This wasn’t my Jade at all. She was never this in tune with the laws. She didn’t follow them.

Get out of my head, ghost, I sent half-heartedly. I wasn’t serious. I’d do anything, mean anything to hear the sound of my love in my head. Even if it meant listening to this ghost that sounded nothing like her.

Am I deaf or are you just stupid? the ghost of her sent back with a fiery undertone to her tone.  How could you even begin to comprehend me being a ghost? The voice questioned in exasperation.

At those words a chuckle escaped me. I could almost believe that it was her in my head being snide. Maybe I was wishing for her and longing for her so much that, she was here in my head. Her spirit was after all connected to mine we were soul mates after all. She was a spirited one and though I hadn’t had much time with her or the opportunity to mate with her fully and have pups, I would always remember this. I knew that even ghost left at times.

Neither, honey, I responded, but I’m still ridding the world of this poor excuse of a man, I told her. You’re a ghost because of him, do you not remember that?

The voice sighed loud and clearly in my head. A ghost? Really? Why can’t I be a nymph spirit or something? She returned. Don’t kill the Alpha. Let your stuffy council take care of it. They keep order in this world for a reason. Killing him would spark something that would end in disaster.

You’ve foreseen this have you, ghost? I returned.

Wouldn’t you like to know?

I ignored the question and turned my attention back to the Alpha in front of me. His face was still red, slowly I eased up on my chokehold on him. I allowed instead for him to breathe. He panted for breathing, wheezing as he tried to gain a reality on the fact that he was still alive. He brought one hand up to his throat and stroked it swallowing and visibly gulping. When he finally stopped panting like a trumpeter, I spoke in a cold and hard tone.

“Her compassion is all that is keeping you alive for the time being. Alpha Albert Brimer you are here by denounced from the position of Alpha of the Brimstone Pack and now pronounced a rogue to any and all.  You are also hereby charged with interference between mates as well as murder of a royal wolf. You will go back to Leighton with me and face the council who will ultimately decide if you live or die,” I decreed.