Chapter Thirty-One: Destiny

The heat and I would not agree. I looked at my Mother with a flat expression across my face. I felt one of my nostrils flare slightly. I didn’t want to go into the heat. I wasn’t in agreement with Mikhail and to be frank I wasn’t doing anything with that fucker at this point. He could go fucking kick some rocks or something. He wasn’t touching my body while he had this damn command over me. Even if he chose to take that away, I still wouldn’t be pleased with him because it wasn’t about that. It was about principality. Many girls may not understand that, but I went firmly by that. Rather I could stay angry at him for a long period of time or not I still wouldn’t be doing anything with him.

Looking over at my Mom, I asked her a question. “How long do I have before I go into this heat?”

My Mom looked at me and then chuckled. “Honey that depends on your wolf and your emotions,” she said, almost elusively.

I gave her another flat expression. Was that really supposed to help me figure out how to avoid Mikhail when the time came? I groaned inwardly. Things weren’t being helped here at all.

“So how exactly does this heat work?” I asked her.

She had never really explained it to me. Her or Dad, they had just always told me that when the time came I would be told. Well apparently, that time was here and I wasn’t happy about it all. I didn’t want to run around like a bitch in heat. I scowled and folded my arms across my chest.

My Mom looked over at me and chuckled. “Honey, any intense emotions that bring your wolf to surface during a certain time period can cause it. Usually the time period comes a few weeks after meeting your mate…Right around now for you and Mikhail. Any day now, actually.” She blinked at me for a moment and then a look crossed her face. “Are you sure Mikhail didn’t plan this? As a boy his parents would’ve explained it to him…He made you angry…and your wolf is on the edge because of it, isn’t she? It’s also been a few weeks…You’ve definitely kissed so the pheromone that’s in him passed over to you and has had time to digest and mix in with your blood stream so that your wolf will be feeling the urge to mate and receive the relief that comes from being his mate. As an Alpha’s mate it’ll be twenty times worse than a normal she wolf.”

I rolled my eyes at all of this knowledge and then sighed. Mikhail probably had known about this, but I doubted he would’ve it done it purposely. Knowing his cocky arrogant ass he would’ve told me he was going to do it and then did it. Regardless of what people might believe it was a damn lie to think that someone telling you that they were going to make you angry wouldn’t make you angry. If someone did something stupid then you’d still be angry regardless of if you knew the person was going to do it or not.

That was like when Ryan used to steal my favorite candy, Twizzlers. He’d tell me he was going to steal them and then when I wasn’t paying attention he would do it. It didn’t matter that he had warned. All that had mattered was that he had stolen them. I had been angry.

Sighing, I looked over at my Mom. “Let’s just go back to watching movies,” I murmured.

She nodded her head in agreement and my mind went back to Mikhail.

Mate with him? I scoffed inwardly wasn’t going to happen anytime soon. Even if he hadn’t done what he had. I wasn’t doing anything like that any time soon. Everyone knew that the heat was for reproducing. When a female were slept with anyone during her heat, mate or not then there was a ninety–eight percent chance that she’d end up pregnant. I wasn’t looking forward to kids at this young age. Not at all. I still had high school to consider as well as college. I had a life ahead of me.

Mikhail and I having children was further down the road. Way down the road.

Looking at the TV, I focused on it and watched with amusement as Adam Sandler and a few other grown men acted a damn fool on “Grown Ups”. It was one of the older movies, but it was most certainly amusing and I was enjoying it. I laughed aloud with my Mom at certain parts, like when they used it in the pool and blue swamped around them and children rushed out the pool.

A few hours later, I was tired of watching movies, needed a break from being in the same room, and seated for so long. I was one of those people who had to be able to move around some. We had been watching movies for almost five hours now. We had run out of popcorn and I needed to grab something to drink. Sitting on your ass for so long made it ache.

I reached the kitchen to grab a bit to drink and Mikhail stepped into my path. He gently took my wrist with one hand and held it in place with the other hand he lifted my chin up and stared into my eyes.

“Jade, honey,” he said, his deep voice speaking to me on some other level. “We need to talk. It’s not acceptable for you to just ignore me like this.”

I looked up at him, rolled my eyes in response, and tugged on my wrist. He didn’t budge and I became irritated quickly. I was always mad Mikhail and I knew it. If it wasn’t for one thing, it was for another. I was tired of this shit. He expected a few words to explain everything that he did. It didn’t work that way. He had embarrassed me and he needed to learn from that. It wasn’t okay to do what he had done.

He looked down at me and sighed once more.

I looked down into Jade’s emerald green eyes which were shooting daggers at me. She seemed to be pissed at me for what I had done. I had my reasons for doing what I had done. She didn’t understand many of the rules that would apply to her once she got to Leighton. She didn’t understand anything at all. She just seemed to be in her own world where everything was perfect and she could do whatever the hell she wanted to.

If she didn’t start behaving herself than soon when we got back to Leighton then I’d be taking over too. She needed to learn the meaning of respect. She need to learn that, although we were mates I was still the King. She wasn’t going to be recognized officially as Queen until she went through the ceremony in Leighton. Some would probably demand that she be mated first—some really being my Council of Elders.

Jade also didn’t understand that lately she had been giving off a scent that was driving me wild. She didn’t know, in a way it made me proud to know that she was innocent but in another it affected me in different ways. Sighing, I looked down at her and into those turbulent green eyes, which were still fuming at me. Jade knew how to stay angry. She really did. It was as if I even took a step she was angry at me.

I knew partially why. It was because her wolf was on the edge and her body was starting to react to my pheromones. Jade was slowly moving toward the stage of being in heat. She was constantly pissed, she was moody and she was most likely starting to desire me to a point of an insanity. I smiled at that.

At the idea of pups.

I had wanted them for hundreds of years. Now here she was and I was going to get them. She would probably protest but there were ways around that. It was as they said: “If you waited and listened to a woman, then it’d be years before she got around to giving you what you wanted.” She probably had some ridiculous notion in mind that we were going to wait a few years—usually meaning close to seven—before we had children. I wasn’t going for that.

I was tired of fighting with her. I wanted to hold her. For just once, I wanted us to be relaxed enough to just sit back and talk or something. Her hostility quite, frankly was becoming more and more annoying. It was as if she were this big brat that whenever things didn’t go her way, she found a way to throw a fit.

Leaning down without hesitation, I brought my lips down overs. I kissed her deeply and pulled her body close to mine. I let go of her wrist, wrapped my arms around her waist, and lost myself in the feel of her. This feeling of contentment and destiny. This was destined to be. We were destined to be. 

(Not sure that I like this chapter. It may be subjective to change.)