CHAPTER 5 : Good Morning Sunshine

LAURENS POV

Bing bing bing bing

"No.. mrRr hatter" I sleeply mumble.

I toss and turn in my bed my body heavy but light.

Bing bing bing

"Ughhh" I groggily grumble slapping my hand over my eyes to shield them from the small bit of light peeking through my thin curtains.

I sit up my hair sticking out in all places I blink my eyes adjusting to the light.

I take my phone thats shouting from inside my pocket and flick the alarm off in frustration.

I rub my eyes trying to fither awken myself.

I look around my messy room with a sigh.

I lurch out my bed and shuffle out to the hall way.

I see that my dad's room door is open a peak I creep forward and peek inside.

My nose immediately wrinkles up to the smell of stale alcohol and sweat.

My father lays on his bed passed out on his back making him look like a flipped over turtle.

I roll my eyes and shut the door with a slam.

I wander into the kitchen and pull out the lucky charms shits full of sugar but it's the only things that make my mornings that bit better.

I dance over to the cupboard and pull out my favourite bowl.

I pour myself a big bowl and grab the milk filling it to set off the sugary pop.

I shove a spoon in the bowl and take a bite.

A smile mixes onto my face as I walk to sit at the table.

My smile soon drops when I hear the door to my father's room slam.

He shuffles into the kitchen grumbling.

He starts slamming open the cupboards searching through there contents to find a new bottle to open.

I swirl my spoon around the bowl puffing air into my cheeks.

"You won't find any" I mutter to him.

He doesn't hear me and continues on his search.

"Wheres the rest of the alcohol you hidden it again" my dad turns to me his eyes crazied as he points at me accusingly.

I stay silent and shake my head.

"Lier" he spits out as he storms over to the table and slams his hands down.

I say nothing and continue eating my cereal my heart skipping a beat with nervousness.

"Tch" he scoffs and stalks towards the front door.

"I'm going out don't wait" he shouts to me picking up his coat and leaving.

"Yeah yeah whatever" I mutter to myself as he slams the door and leaves.

I finish my bowl of cereal and wash the few dishes.

I skip into my room and start pulling out my uniform.

I get changed and do my hair.

As I run around packing my school bag I notice a piece of paper on my bedside table.

I smile to myself with a small laugh and look over the messy handwriting.

I fold the paper and shove it in my blazer.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

I flop down onto the plastic picnic table.

"Hi lauren" my best friend caspin greated from the other side of the table.

"Hey c" I sigh tiredly and places my head on my arms that are folded infont of me.

"Long night" he ask taking a bite of his peanut butter sandwich.

"You wouldn't belive" I chuckle.

" w..."he hesitates before continuing "was it your dad again" he gentley ask.

"Nope that was this morning" I laugh lightly trying to distract myself from the rising tears.

Caspin gives me a tight lipped smile and leans ove to pat my shoulder.

I smile gently and pat his hand.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

" im here to see Amy Hampton" I smile at the familiar receptionist.

"Oh Lauren dear yes your mothers in the usual room but..." her eyes soften with empathy "your mother maybe a bit worn out today so just be gentle with her" She smiles her usual warm smile and hands me a blanket.

I smile back and start walking towards the my mother's room.

I gently knock on the door I hear a weak come in and enter quietly.

"Hi mama" I walk over to her side taking my coat off and throwing it on the chair behind me.

I lean in and kiss her on the forehead.

"Hi my baby" my mother weakly replies taking my hair and placing it behind my ear.

I lean into her hand letting myself become vulnerable.

"How was school today" she questions me her eyes drooping slightly.

I take her hand from my face and hold it.

" it was fine the usual I got an a on my history test" i tell her beaming.

"Such a smart baby" She mutters sleeply her hand becoming limp in mine

A small snore comes from her shallow rising body.

"Oh mama" I quietly whisper my tears now dropping from my eyes.

I some how slip off into sleep my head resting on the hospital bed the room filled with my mother soft snores and the beeping of the heart monitor.

I get shaken lightly.

And then a bit rougher.

I startle with a groggy fright.

" visiting times are over miss Hampton its time for you to leave now" the nurse grunts out and turns to leave.

"Gez" I huff out taking my coat from the chair and stand I place a quick kiss on my mother cheek.

I take In her weak appearance she's as pale as I've ever seen her.

Her cheeks and eyes sunken in slightly.

Her light hair is thin around her face.

I huff out slightly

"I love you mum" and with that i exit the room.