CHAPTER 21 : I Choose To Stand With You

LAURENS POV

"Jason," I began, my voice filled with uncertainty, "we need to talk."

He nodded, his gaze dropping to the ground. "Yeah, we do."

We both fell into an awkward silence, neither of us knowing how to start. 

The truth was, we were both hurting, both feeling betrayed in our own ways.

Finally, I broke the silence

 "I'm sorry for getting angry. I was just hurt, you know? I thought you trusted me, and it felt like you didn't care enough to be honest with me." i admit my voice quivering.

Jason met my eyes, his own filled with a mix of regret and understanding. 

"I do care, Lauren. More than you know." His words were laced with a deeper meaning, which  he didn't elaborate.

 he sighed and continued kicking a small rock by his foot not able to  look at me.

"I was angry too, not at you, but at myself for not being able to protect you." he says with a broken voice sadness seeping into his eyes.

I frowned, confused by his words. "Protect me? From what?"

Jason hesitated, his gaze dropping again. "From the dangers of my world, from the secrets I have to keep. I never wanted you to be dragged into all of it."

I took a step closer to him, my heart aching with sympathy. 

"I get it now, Jason. I understand why you and Bruce did what you did. I may have been angry, but I know it was out of love and concern. And I want you to know that I stand with you, no matter what happens." I  give him my usual smile  my cheeks a little flushed this time due to my truthful admittance of feelings.

His eyes met mine, and there was a glimmer of gratitude in them. "Thank you, Lauren."

As I looked at my best friend, I couldn't help but feel a renewed sense of connection and understanding between us. 

We had both shared our struggles and frustrations with the situation, and it had brought us closer.

As the tension between Jason and me dissolved, we both felt the need for a deeper connection to bridge the gap that had formed.

 We stood there, under the ancient oak tree, surrounded by the garden's beauty, and I took a step closer to him, a silent invitation.

Without hesitation, Jason wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a tight embrace. The moment felt like a lifeline, a connection to soothe the pain and confusion that had gripped us both.

His embrace was warm and comforting, as if he was holding onto me for dear life, seeking reassurance that we were still a team.

 I could feel his heartbeat against my chest, strong and steady, and it calmed the storm of emotions that had raged within me.

My arms encircled him in return, and we held onto each other as if we were trying to convey all the unspoken words and emotions that had swirled between us.

 I could feel the tension in his shoulders slowly melting away, and in that embrace, I found solace and forgiveness.

Tears welled up in my eyes, but they were no longer tears of anger or betrayal.

 They were tears of understanding and relief, tears that washed away the hurt and left room for healing.

The hug lingered, neither of us wanting to let go too soon. 

It was a silent agreement that we were in this together, and no matter what challenges lay ahead, we would face them as a team, as best friends who had weathered a storm and come out stronger on the other side.