CHAPTER 6 : No I Didn't Miss You

LAURENS POV

I huff as I walks down the street  away from the hospital my  feet drag along the pavement with each step.

 the feeling of  disinterest and detachment taking me  from my surroundings.

I feel so lost in my own thoughts and emotions that run riot in my head. 

my eyes are downcast, staring at the ground before me, my interest now taken by a can I idly kicks along the sidewalk. 

Each time it clatters against the pavement, it makes a hollow, echoing sound that seems to accentuate my despondency.

I let my frustration out  in my kicks , the feeling of being stuck in a rut and not find a way out becoming my main emotion. 

I feel myself searching for something, but whatever it is, I hasn't found  or thought of it yet.

Despite the movement and the activity around me my  mood stays  somber.

anyone who passes must feel  a sense of sadness that some how comes from my aura as a few people give me concerned glances as they pass . 

lost in my own world the world around me seems to hold little interest or meaning.

to overcome by exhaustion and emotions I make my way home.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I stare at the piece of paper in my hand the number scrawled in black ink taunting me.

I then look down at my phone that sits propped  against a pillow the same number taunting from the dim screen.

I flop back on my bed chewing at my lip anxious with the actions I should take.

I know I should  to call Jason and check up on him.

 but there's a pit in my stomach that's holding me back.

but it's been a week since we  last spoke.

 I was to busy to ring in  the day  and have pussied out a few times in ringing him.

that's when i sit back up with haste and hold my cheeks pushing them up with my palms outwardly groaning.

I don't even know if the number is still valid or if he will even remember me!

that's silly of course he will remember me...?

Right....?

I run through the all the  scenarios in my head. 

What if he picks up and I don't know what to say? 

What if he's gained sudden amnesia and  doesn't  remember me at all? 

What if he gets  angry or upset that I'm calling out of the blue?

The longer I hesitate, the more my mind races with doubts and fears. 

Maybe it's better if I just forget about his number and move on. 

But there's a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I need to follow through with this.

I take a deep breath and lift my phone, fingers hovering over the dial button. 

It feels like an eternity before I finally press it, and the phone begins to ring.

My heart is pounding in my chest, and I can feel a bead of sweat forming on my forehead. But before I have time to overthink it,  Jason answers.

"Hello?" his voice on the other end says his tone surprised

"heyyy" I awkwardly say rolling my eyes at my awkward voice.

" you okay?" Jason casually asks.

  little did I know Jason was dancing on the spot happy I had finally decide to  reach out.

"I've been alright" I pause momentarily completely forgetting to ask how he was.

"how are u?" I rush out as I face palm repeatedly.

"fine" he replies non enthusiastically

we stay silent I hear shuffling coming from Jason's side as well as hushed  voices my interest peaks.

"you ringing because you missed me" Jason taunts laughing at me.

my cheeks immediately flush I open and close my mouth not sure whether to tell the truth or lie.

"NO!.....NO I did NOT miss you" I shout pulling my phone from my ear to shout at the screen.

I did in fact miss his stupid face I just wasn't ready t admit or tell him that.

I hear Jason dying from laughter on the other end of the phone followed by something clattering away from Jason.

the phone crackles as it sounds like its being scrapped off up the floor.

"how rude you really didn't miss me" Jason asks with a fake sadness I can just imagine him with stupid puppy dog eyes.

"no" I  bluntly say however my face says different I have now turned a deep red and feel very very warm.

"hmm okay" Jason questions still laughing at my reaction.

"what happened with the bats I don't remember much I did however wake up in my bed so if yu hadn't of left a note I would have guessed it was a dream" I tell Jason with a laugh that trails off.

he stays silent making my anxiety rise I fiddle my thumb and middle finger trying to ease it.

"What are you ding right now" Jason ventured eagerly.

"ummm" I look's down at my bunny  pajamas then at my table that has my homework for the night "nothing" I reply  amused.

"meet me outside peppers near the old cinema in say....." Jason mulls over his time stamp looking around his current situation "half hour" he concludes already looking for his escape route.

"works for me see you then jay " I hurry out the last part and hang up the phone throwing it across my bed.

I grab my pillow and start to scream into it kicking my legs.

OH MY GOD 

I immediately stop kicking my legs my face screwed up in disgust.

"what is wrong with me" I roll my eyes at myself again and start to change.

a few minutes later  I slowly open my bedroom door, I hold my breath, trying to make as little noise as possible.

 My heart is racing, and my palms are sweating as I tip-toe past my dad on the sofa.

 He's passed out, a bottle of whiskey on the floor beside him, and the TV is blaring in the dark room. I can hear the sound of a violent action movie, but I can't focus on that right now.

I glance at my dad, making sure he's still asleep his mouth is open drawl seeping out it.

"eww" I wrinkle my nose and make my way to the door.

 I keep my eyes fixed on the door giving quick glances at my father, praying that the creaky floorboards won't give me away. 

Every step feels like an eternity, and my muscles tense as I try to move as quickly and quietly as possible.

Finally, I reach the door and grab the handle, praying that it won't squeak.

 I slowly turn it, wincing as I hear a faint noise. 

I freeze, waiting for my dad to stir, but he doesn't move.

 I let out a sigh of relief and gently push the door open quickly shutting it when I stand in the hallway.

I run towards the stairs  and quickly exit the building not risking my dad looking for me.