CHAPTER 32 : Stalk Of The Night

LAURENS POV

"FUCKER" I slam the door of my locker shut with a hard force.

how dare that sleaze bag use my job against me.

"YoUR RePLaCAbLE" I mimic my boss taking my bag from my lockers and shoving the now  decided dirty money in my hand far down into it.

" you good girl" 

I spin around to find the voice belongs to Tonya one of the dancers on tonight's stage.

"Peachy" I reply my voice sarcastic.

"What happened I saw you disappear to the bosses office and got worried"  

I take a deep breath trying to compose myself.

"Just another day in the glamorous life of working for that scumbag" I reply my tone laced with bitterness.

Tonya raises an eyebrow her colorful stage outfit contrasting with the serious expression on her face. "Spill it Lauren..... What did he do this time?"

I lean against the lockers frustration bubbling beneath the surface.

 "He pulled me into his office tried to make some inappropriate advances and then handed me my pay like he's doing me a favor..... Oh! and he made it clear that I'm replaceable" I scoff shaking my head in anger.

Tonya's eyes narrow with anger. "That pig! We should report him or something. No one should have to put up with that crap."

I give a bitter laugh. 

"Report him to who? Gotham's finest? We both know how deep his connections go."

Tonya crosses her arms, contemplating the situation. "Well, we can't let him get away with it. Maybe there's another way to bring him down."

" right and I have a magical unicorn stashed in my apartment" i counter with sarcasm knowing that reporting him wasn't an option.

Tonya smirks matching my sarcasm. "Well, if you do have a magical unicorn, maybe we could use it to scare the hell out of that sleazy boss of ours."

I chuckle appreciating Tonya's attempt to lighten the mood.

"I think the unicorn might be on vacation tonight," I reply, my sarcasm lightening the tension between us. "But seriously, I need to get home This place is suffocating tonight."

Tonya nods understandingly. 

"I get it. Gotham's nights can be intense, especially after dealing with that slimeball. I'll walk you out. Safety in numbers, right?"

I offer a small smile appreciating the solidarity. "Thanks Tonya... Let's escape this circus together."

As we make our way through the neon-lit corridors of the club Tonya speaks up her tone a mix of concern and determination. 

"Lauren, we'll figure out a way to deal with him. No one should have to tolerate that kind of behavior."

I nod, grateful for her support. "You're right Tonya We'll expose him for the rat he is."

We step out into the crisp Gotham night the sounds of the city echoing around us.

 Tonya walks beside me, and I can't help but appreciate the camaraderie that has formed between us.

"Get home safe Lauren" Tonya says with a genuine smile as we reach the club's entrance.

I laugh softly the irony not lost on me. 

"Safe in Gotham? That's a rare concept.... But I'll do my best. Thanks for walking me out, Tonya."

She waves it off, her playful spirit returning. "Anytime, Lauren. Remember, we're in this together."