CHAPTER 33 : Worlds Do Collide

LAURENS POV

I stood over Tim, my chest heaving with exhaustion and triumph.

 The gritty taste of victory filled my mouth as I gazed down at him, sprawled on the floor. 

The room was silent, except for the heavy breaths escaping both of us.

"Stay down, Tim. I've won," I declared, my voice laced with a mix of satisfaction and a hint of playful arrogance.

Tim groaned, his hand clutching his side as he struggled to sit up. "Come on, Lauren, can't you let me win just once? This is getting embarrassing," he complained, his eyes squinting against the imaginary pain.

I couldn't help but chuckle. "You know the rules, Tim. No mercy in this arena," I teased, extending a hand to help him up.

 Despite his protests, there was a glint of amusement in his eyes as he accepted my offer.

As he stood, he shot me a mock glare. "I swear, you never let me win. It's like you're programmed to always be the victor," he grumbled, attempting to dust himself off with a theatrical flair.

I arched an eyebrow, feigning innocence. "Well, maybe you should work on your skills, Tim. Victory isn't handed out; it's earned," I replied with a smirk, reveling in the banter that always accompanied our friendly competitions.

Tim rolled his eyes but couldn't hide the smirk that played on his lips. "Next time, Lauren. I'm coming for that crown," he declared, shaking a fist in mock determination.

I laughed, the camaraderie between us unbreakable. 

"Bring it on, Tim. I'll be here, ready to defend my title," I said, as we both headed towards the exit

The echo of tires resonated through the long tunnel, signaling Bruce's return from his nightly patrol. 

I made my way towards the entrance, anticipation and concern mingling in my thoughts.

 As I approached, the sleek black Batmobile came into view, and Bruce stepped out, the cowl concealing his identity.

"Hey," I greeted him, studying his expression for any hints of how the night had gone.

Bruce nodded in acknowledgment, a subtle smile crossing his lips.

 "How's Tim doing?" he inquired, always concerned about the progress of his protégé.

"He's improving," I assured him. "Just a few kinks to knock out, but he's getting there."

Bruce's smile widened before fading into a more serious expression.

 "And how was patrol?" I asked, sensing that something significant had occurred.

His grim look confirmed my suspicion. "Encountered the rumored Red Hood," Bruce replied, his voice low and tense.

I couldn't suppress a slight flinch, remembering the unsettling encounter I had with Red Hood a couple of weeks ago at the club where I worked. 

I rmeber how my sleazy boss had been so scared but I kept that part of the story to myself.

"Red Hood?" I asked, feigning ignorance. "What happened?"

Bruce's gaze lingered on me, detecting the subtle reaction. "He's skilled, smart, knows a lot. The way he fights and moves – it's familiar," he mused. "Almost like a reflection."

We headed towards the Batcomputer, and Bruce began typing Red Hood's name.

 The screen displayed a brief summary: highly skilled combatant, master marksman, versatile in weaponry, tactical and strategic expertise.