CHAPTER 10 : shadows unveiled P1

LAURENS POV 

"yes Caspin" I kick the back foot of my  on the concrete stair bellow me "no Caspin" I roll my eyes and make my way down the stairs "goodbye Caspin" I blankly say hanging up the phone.

"such a worry wart" I laugh to myself as I half way pocket my phone and get down to the last stair.

*ring* *ring* *ring*

my eyebrows crease with worry as I take in the name of the person who went radio silent  for a month after our last encounter.

I breath out  sitting down on the stair bellow me and put the phone to my ear.

"Lauren" a uncertain and weary reply comes from the other end.

"Jason" I reply flatly as I grind my teeth unsure of the sudden anger.

"can we meet" he queries hopefully.

I bite the inside of my cheek not  sure with my emotions.

angry he's popped back out the blue.

sad he went radio silent.

happy he trying to make an effort.

"meet me at penny's in 15 minutes" i  relay calmly as i stand and walk the familiar yet long ago trodden streets towards penny's.

<><><><><><><><><><><>
20 minutes later

I sit in  the  small, dimly lit booth the regular sitting arrangement for both Jason and I for once regular visits. 

I sit  with a sense of anticipation etched onto my face my leg bobbing away with a fast pace against the sticky floor.

 The booth is tucked away in a corner, providing me with  a perfect vantage point, as a large window opens up to the outside world.

I lean forward slightly, resting my elbows on the booth's surface, and intertwine my fingers as my  anxiety raises n the arrival of Jason.

my eyes are fixated on the scene unfolding beyond the glass. A soft glow from the overhead light accentuates the subtle lines of concern on my forehead.

 Outside, Gotham carries on with its usual hustle and bustle, unaware of my silent vigil taking place within the booth.

 Pedestrians walk briskly along the sidewalk, their footsteps blending with the distant traffic noises.

As time ticks away, the my gaze remains steadfast, occasionally flickering with a glimmer of hope whenever a figure resembling Jason appears in the distant street. 

my breaths, now slightly shallow, betray a mixture of eagerness and worry. my  fingers unconsciously  tap nervously on the booth's surface, creating a gentle rhythm that matches the beat of my racing heart.

"come on Jason" I mutter taking in the clock time in front of me.

The changing light of the  sun paints shifting shades upon my face. 

 The shadows dance across my features, adding an air of mystery and anticipation to my countenance. 

Yet, my eyes never waver from the outside world, searching for any sign of the elusive late arrival called Jason Todd.

With each passing moment, the i feel my posture becomes slightly more tense, my  body leaning closer to the window as if to bridge the gap between me and the outside world.

 my anticipation is now palpable, as if the air within the booth is charged with a mix of emotions. Time seems to slow down, as seconds stretch into what feels like hours.

Then, finally, a figure emerges in the distance of the street in front of me.

 My eyes widen with a surge of relief at the now closer approaching figure. 

A smile tugs at the corners of my lips, revealing the hidden glimmer of joy. 

I feel my  body relax  as I sit back in the booth, a satisfied sigh escaping my  lips. 

Jason enters the place with a brisk pace his head down leaving the bell above the door rambling loudly.

As Jason  stands before the booth, the atmosphere shifts from anticipation to a mix of excitement and awkwardness. 

I  shuffle my body language displaying the combination of relief and mild unease.

 I meet  Jason's gaze with a blend of emotions in my eyes—happiness, relief, and perhaps a touch of lingering concern.

"Hey," he says, his voice betraying a hint of nervousness, as if unsure how to properly address the situation  as he slides into his usual seat in the booth.

 "Hi," I responds with a slightly breathless tone that carry's a mix of exhaustion and eagerness.

we both sit there for a moment, momentarily unsure of what to do next. 

The silence hangs in the air, punctuated only by the distant sounds of conversations and clinking of glasses from nearby tables.

 It's as if we are suspended in time, caught between the relief of finally being together and the awkwardness of the preceding wait.

Jason open and closes his mouth before giving up and looking down at his hands.

Breaking the silence, Jason   reaches into his pocket and retrieves a small, carefully wrapped box. 

Placing it gently on the table in front of the me, he manage a faint smile and say, "I got you something." his voice is tinged with a mix of shyness and hopefulness.

my eyes widen in surprise, a mix of curiosity and gratitude taking hold.

 I reach for the box, my fingers delicately unwrapping it, revealing its contents. 

The air crackles with anticipation as I lift the lid.

Jason watches intently his face etched with small amounts of anxiety.

 my expression shifts from surprise to delight. 

A genuine smile spreads across my face, as I look up, meeting Jason's eyes.

I pull out the potted plant I had mentioned was my favorite before Jason went silent.

"Thank you,"  I says softly, my voice filled with genuine appreciation. 

The awkwardness of the initial greeting begins to melt away, replaced by a growing sense of connection and warmth. 

The small box, now empty, sits on the table as a symbol of thoughtfulness and a bridge between the two individuals.

In that moment, the booth becomes a haven of shared emotions, as we both settle into our seats.

I  wasn't  ready to embark on a conversation that will undoubtedly dissolve the awkwardness.

  Jason clears his throat and shifts in his seat "guess i should tell you were I've been" he states nervously rubbing his neck.