CHAPTER 27: Echoes In Ashes

LAURENS POV 

2 DAYS SINCE JASON DEPATURE.

Bruce's jaw set with determination as he stared at the screen. "I'm going to get Jason," he declared a deep frown etched on his face. "I have a bad feeling about this."

"I'm coming with you" I asserted my worry for Jason overriding any concern for my own safety.

"I'm not staying behind either" Dick chimed in standing by my side.

Bruce hesitated then shook his head. "No both of you stay here.... I can handle this alone."

Annoyance flashed across my face. "Bruce we're not useless.... We can help!"

Dick supported me "Yeah we're a team... remember?"

Bruce's expression remained stern as he began preparing the Batwing. "I need to do this alone. It's too dangerous."

I persisted irritation creeping into my voice "You can't  shut us out of this  Bruce it involves us too."

Dick stepped in defending our stance "She's right Bruce... We're here for you and for Jason."

Bruce, however, remained resolute. "No!... that's final."

I bristled at the finality of his tone frustration welling up within me.

 Dick, sensing the tension, gently encouraged Bruce "Bruce she want to help.... Let her."

Bruce's response was firmer this time "No."

Bruce noticed the distress etched on my face a flicker of concern softening his stern features.

 As he observed my frustration and concern a moment of realization seemed to wash over him.

 He knew I wasn't going to relent my determination unwavering when it came to helping Jason.

"Fine..." Bruce relented his tone softer this time. "But you both stay here! in the Batcave.... You can assist me remotely when needed."

A sense of relief flooded through me. 

I nodded in agreement appreciating the compromise "Thank you, Bruce."

Dick and I quickly took our positions at the Bat computer watching the screens intently as Bruce prepared to depart in the Batwing.

 The tension in the cave was palpable, our hearts racing with worry for Jason's safety.

As Bruce took off into the night, we focused on monitoring his progress, scanning the feeds and assisting whenever possible.

 Our determination to aid Bruce in bringing Jason home was unwavering, even if it meant doing so from the confines of the Batcave.

<><><><><><><>><><><><><>

3 DAYS SINCE JASONS DEPATURE

Bruce now dressed as himself not Batman arrived at the aid center  in the early hours of the afternoon where Jason's mother Sheila worked. 

He approached one of the representatives at the front desk his eyes scanning the room for any sign of familiarity.

"Excuse me" Bruce began his tone polite yet urgent. "I'm looking for a boy with raven hair  a prominent scar on his jaw.... Solid yet scrawny figure? has anyone matching that description come through here in the past couple of days?"

The representative nodded her expression thoughtful  "Yes we had a boy like that come through a couple days ago ... what was his name?.... Jason was it?"