CHAPTER 26 : Tracking Shadows

LAURENS POV

1 DAY SINCE JASONS DEPATURE

"Stupid homework" I grumble to myself slumping my forehead into my waiting hands as I crumple my paper with my elbows.

Just as I was about to let out another exasperated sigh, my phone buzzed. 

I glanced at the screen—it was Dick.

"Hey" I answered trying to push the annoyance out of my voice.

"Hey have you seen Jason?" Dick's voice held a hint of concern.

"No, not since last night" I replied my mind racing to recall the balcony conversation "He was here but after that .... nothing."

"He hasn't shown up for tonight's patrol" Dick informed me worry edging his words "I've been trying to reach him all day."

My heart skipped a beat "Do you think he's in trouble?"

"I don't know" Dick admitted, the uncertainty palpable "Bruce and I are searching but if you hear from him let us know."

"I'll try calling him I promised "He usually picks up for me."

We hung up, but a knot of worry settled in my stomach. 

What if Jason had lied about going to Ethiopia? 

What if something had happened?

 I dialed his number but it went straight to voicemail amplifying my concern.

"Jason where are you?" I muttered into the phone the sinking feeling in my chest growing heavier with each unanswered ring.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

THE NEXT DAY

2 DAYS SINCE JASONS DEPATURE

"Seriously can you stop moving? You're making me feel nauseous" Caspin grumbledhis face contorted in discomfort clutching his stomach.

"Sorry sorry I'll try not to...move" I stammered feeling guilty for causing him any distress.

Caspin turned from his locker giving me a pointed look that said 'I know something's up.'

 "It's nothing really...."I tried to deflect his accusation waving him off and glancing away.

"You're the worst at lying" Caspin deadpanned his expression leaving no room for argument.

I sighed relenting "It's Jason He's been ignoring my calls and I have this bad feeling that something's happened to him."

Caspin's face softened with concern "Again? This isn't the first time he's pulled something like this."

"But what if it's serious this time?" I pressed anxiety gnawing at me.

He placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder "We'll figure it out but we're gonna be late for class if we don't move now."

Caspin tugged me toward the classroom his attempt to distract me from worry evident. 

Despite my unease I followed his lead knowing that dwelling on the unknown wouldn't solve anything at that moment.

As the final bell rang signaling the end of the school day Caspin and I walked out together. 

He was bubbling with excitement talking animatedly about our plans for a sleepover that evening.

"I've got everything set up for tonight! Movies snacks games—the whole deal" Caspin exclaimed a grin spreading across his face.

I tried to match his enthusiasm despite the weight of worry still lingering about Jason "Sounds awesome Cas... I'm looking forward to it."