CHAPTER 34 : Don't Make Me Laugh

Laurens pov 

I shut my front door and lock it  letting my body slide down the length of it my ass hitting the cold floor of my apartment a warm comfort.

" what the fuck" I try and make sense of all that had just happened.

The RED HOOD lives above me.

The same red hood I am currently making a whole profile about for Bruce.

" shit " I mutter in realization pushing myself off the floor and walking over to the web of information that hangs on my wall.

if Bruce finds out I live in the same building as the Redhood its going to cause a couple issues.

the main being he's a threat  against the bat not that I don't already know this.

I physically shudder at the original encounter I had with the red hood.

his whole demeanor and aura had a sense of power and danger.

one I wouldn't admit at the time I craved  like a cold ice drink in summer.

I decided that it was an issue for future me and went to bed.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

JASONS POV

As the door clicked shut behind her I remained seated on the floor my thoughts swirling in a tumultuous storm.

 She thought she had fooled me with her facade of innocence but I had seen through it from the moment she stepped into the room.

Her sudden appearance in my sanctuary only fueled my suspicion. 

Why was she so insistent on helping me? What was her game?

With a sigh I pushed myself to my feet the ache in my side serving as a painful reminder of the danger lurking in the shadows. 

But there was something else a nagging feeling that whispered of a connection beyond the superficial layers of hero and villain.

I made my way to the window, gazing out into the darkness of the city below. 

Lauren's words lingered in the air haunting me with their sincerity. 

Perhaps there was more to her than met the eye.

As I stood by the window the city's skyline cast in shadows beneath the pale moonlight I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that lingered within me.

 Lauren's unexpected act of kindness had left me grappling with conflicting emotions a turmoil of doubt and suspicion swirling in my mind.

"Pathetic" I muttered to myself the voice of self-doubt echoing in the quiet of the room. "Falling for her act, are we? The mighty Red Hood, brought down by a simple gesture of kindness."

I scowled at the voice irritation bubbling beneath the surface. 

"It's not like that" I retorted though the words rang hollow even to my own ears.

"Oh, spare me," the voice taunted mocking in its tone. "You've got a thing for the blondie, and you know it. Admit it, Hood, you're just as human as the rest of them."

I gritted my teeth, frustration simmering beneath the surface. 

"I don't have time for distractions," I growled though the memory of Lauren's soft touch lingered in the recesses of my mind.

"Distractions?" the voice scoffed. "More like you're scared. Scared of letting someone in, scared of getting hurt. But hey, who can blame you? It's not like you've got a great track record in the love department, now do you?"