CHAPTER 23: Lighting The Shadows Of Rivalry

LAURENS POV 

In the wake of Jason's abrupt departure, an uncomfortable silence hung in the air, and it seemed like no one was willing to break it.

 My concern for Jason weighed heavily on me, and as much as I wanted to stay and listen to the arguments and explanations, I knew I had to go to him.

"I'm going to find Jason," I announced, my voice firm, and started to rise from my chair.

Bruce and Dick exchanged a glance, and Dick opened his mouth, ready to argue, but I silenced him with a hard glare. 

I wasn't about to let anyone tell me what I should or shouldn't do when it came to my friends

Alfred's voice interrupted the brewing conflict between me and dick.

 "Lauren, dear, if you feel that's the best course of action, please go ahead." he told me with his usual  calm tone.

His support gave me the confirmation I needed.

 I left the dining room, making my way down the corridor toward Jason's room.

 As I reached his door, I hesitated for a moment, wondering what I was about to walk into.

I knocked softly, waiting for a response. 

When I heard a muffled, "Come in," I slowly pushed the door open. 

The sight of Jason sitting on his bed, his face buried in his hands, tugged at my heart.

I entered his room and closed the door behind me. 

"Jason," I said softly, moving closer. "Are you okay?"

He looked up, his expression a mix of frustration and sadness. 

"I'm fine, Lauren," he replied, his voice unconvincing.

I couldn't let him off the hook that easily. 

"You're not fine, Jason. What happened in there?" I ask my voice gentle.

He sighed and looked away, his fingers absentmindedly tracing patterns on the bedspread. 

"It's just... Dick and I have this history, this rivalry. He's always been the first, the original Robin, and it's hard for me sometimes."

I took a seat beside him hoping to make him feel comfort.

 "I get it, Jason. It can't be easy living in his shadow."  i agree my voice gentle

He glanced at me, his eyes searching mine for understanding. "You have no idea how much pressure that is."

I reached out and placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "I might not understand it completely, but I'm here for you, no matter what. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, Jason."

He smiled weakly, and there was a hint of vulnerability in his eyes. "Thanks, Lauren. I appreciate that."

jason and I shared a moment of quiet understanding, but then a mischievous glint sparked in his eyes, and he flashed a teasing grin. 

"You know, Lauren, you're way cooler than any other Bat-related person I know. Maybe I should ditch the cape and partner up with you instead." he tells me matter factly his voice playing a flirty tone.

I rolled my eyes playfully, but a smirk played on my lips. "Nice try, Robin. I think you'd miss the cape too much."

He chuckled, the tension in the room dissipating. "Maybe, but I'd get used to it if it meant hanging out with you more."

Before I could respond, a knock at the door interrupted us. 

I glanced at Jason, unsure if we should acknowledge it.