CHAPTER 16 : Hard Work Makes A Life

LAURENS POV

I slam open the mesh door to the back of penny's with a hard barge.

eyes pick up from all over the kitchen watching as I sling the dirty  no longer white apron over my neck and discard my school bag to a secluded area by the door.

" your late" chides a deep gruff voice in front of me.

I lift my eyes from the floor rolling them momentarily before going back to  fiddling to tie my apron.

" only by 3 minutes" I retort back huffing as I move over to the already full sink and taking out plates from it.

"3 minutes to late blondie I have dishes pouring out the sinks and tables that need cleaning..... all that could have been done in those 3 minutes" Grayham steps towards me and settles his hip on the sink  beside me the feeling of his piercing hazel  eyes gazing down on me making the hair on my neck stand up.

I Slowey turn my gaze to the man swallowing the bratty attitude I have down.

Grayham is a  middle-aged man in his mid-40s has spent his entire life in the bustling and often chaotic streets of Gotham City. 

He's a fixture of the city, known by many as the owner of the well-loved restaurant called "Penny's." 

His appearance tells a story of resilience and unwavering dedication.

His skin, a beautiful shade of brown showed years of exposure to the city's elements.

 The constant hustle and bustle, along with the ever-present pollution, have left their mark, giving his complexion a weathered look.

His face is defined by the lines of experience and the occasional faint scar, a testament to the rough-and-tumble nature of Gotham.

One of his most distinctive features is his salt and pepper hair, a distinguished blend of dark and silver strands that adds character to his overall appearance. 

His hair is neatly groomed, suggesting that even in the chaos of Gotham, he takes pride in his appearance.

Tiredness is evident in the weariness etched into his eyes, which are a deep, soulful brown.

 The long hours running his restaurant have taken their toll, but there's a fierce determination in his gaze, as if he's faced adversity head-on and refused to back down.

 His eyes reveal a complex mix of exhaustion and strength.

A well-maintained beard graces his jawline, adding to his rugged and respectable aura whilst giving him an air of wisdom and maturity. 

Dressed in a crisp chef's jacket with the "Penny's" logo embroidered over his heart and a pair of dark jeans, he's the embodiment of hard work and dedication.

 His attire, while practical, carries an air of professionalism and pride in his restaurant.

This middle-aged man, a lifelong resident of Gotham City, embodies the toughness and determination that it takes to thrive in such a demanding environment.

 As the owner of "Penny's," he commands respect not only for his delicious food but also for his unwavering commitment to his restaurant and the city that has shaped him

this man has become one of the many I would look up to in my life.

"well girl what's your excuse" ask  Grayham cocking his head to the side his tone carrying a thin amount of patience.

I look around the kitchen nervously taking in any listening ears then back up at Grayham whos face holds a pinch of irritation.

" I was with my mother" I state quietly looking down at my shoes then glancing briefly at the man.