20 - The Treasure

Fortunately, things improve between Draco and Pansy thanks to my meddling.

Life is good again.

Except that the second task is approaching fast, and even though Pansy and I managed to get the clue out of the egg after a trip to the Prefects bathroom, I am still none the wiser as to how I am supposed to fucking breathe underwater.

"It'll be okay," Fred tries to reassure me as he spends night after night helping me research books in the library in the week running up to it. "We'll find something. I'm not going to let you drown."

Even Draco joins us, his panic evident from the fact that he doesn't mind spending his evenings in the library with a Weasley.

"This is ridiculous!" Draco spits, slamming his fist down on an open book called Wizards and Water. "There is nothing in here about breathing underwater. It should be such a basic thing!"

Fred reaches out and slides the book out from beneath Draco's offending fist. "No need to take it out on the book, mate."

Draco's face is almost comical as his eyes bulge out of their sockets. But after a pointed look from me, he calms down.

I appreciate, after all, Draco and Fred trying to make an effort with one another for my benefit.

The night before the second task, however, I find myself in the library alone, my usual companions not having shown up.

Great, thanks. I think grumpily as I flip through books I have already read, but in my desperation I hope that maybe I had originally missed something.

I search and search, until my eyes eventually cannot take anymore and give up on me.

"Miss Harriet Potter! You must wake up!"

When I open my eyes I find myself staring into a familiar pair of saucer like eyes. Dobby?

"Huh?" I mutter, lifting my head up from the book I'd fallen asleep on, the ink all smudged where I'd drooled all over it.

Dobby thrusts a clear packet of what looks like weed at me. Not a bad idea actually, if I'm going to die anyway, then I may as well go out on a literal high.

"You must eat it!" Dobby instructs. "Just before you go into the lake."

Unusual but whatever, anything to ease the fear of dying.

So, after thanking Dobby for being an excellent dealer, I reluctantly make my way down to the lakeside where everyone already is, waiting.

I don't bother stopping by the dungeons to change into swimwear. May as well drown in my robes.

I feel so hurt that neither Fred or Draco are around to support me, or even just to save me at the last minute. I am too numb to cry, and as I take my place beside Cedric, Fleur and Krum, I think what the hell and stuff the entire packet of weed in my gob, praying the effect will be instant.

What I don't expect, however, is to feel like I am drowning in the air.

Panicking, I run towards the lake, somehow knowing I need to get the fuck in the water before I pass out.

I literally breathe with relief the second I am immersed in the lake. Either this is the weed making me hallucinate, or it isn't weed at all, but some magical herb.

Thank fuck for Dobby.

Not really knowing what to do, I just swim, down, down, down. But I struggle with my robes which tangle all around me and slow me down. So I rip them off, stripping right down to my lacy white bra and panties, allowing my clothes to float up away.