52 - The Odd Couple

Dinner that night at Shell Cottage turns into a celebration of mine and Fred's engagement.

Bill gets the bubbly out of the cellar as soon as Fred and I arrive back and announce the happy news.

"We were saving it for our first anniversary," Bill says as he pops the cork, "but I think tonight it is called for."

I glance at Fleur and am surprised to see she's not annoyed, but instead smiling warmly at Fred and me.

"Love iz everything," she says throatily, glancing adoringly up at her husband as he pours the champagne into flutes. "It deserves celebrating."

Fred pulls his arm around me and we share a look which makes my heart simply melt. His brown eyes are so full of love as he lifts my left hand and presses his lips to the ring on my finger.

Just as I'm feeling sad that the rest of Fred's family can't be here with us, there is a banging at the front door.

Once Bill interrogates them, George, Ginny, Charlie, Molly and Arthur come traipsing in, faces alight with happiness as they rush towards Fred and me, engulfing us in hugs and congratulations.

"The minute Fred told me he was coming to see you tonight," Molly smiled brightly as she affectionately pinched my cheek, "I knew there would be celebrations to be had."

"Mum, she might have said no." George interrupts, winking at me. "Then this would be awkward."

"What- to this gorgeous face?" Fred chuckles as he hugs his twin. "Never!"

George turns to hug me next, and he squeezes me surprisingly tight. "Thank you for making him happy." He murmurs quietly in my ear, his voice thick with emotion.

He holds me a fraction tighter before he lets go. I am surprised to see his eyes are red and watery.

"George, are you crying?" I tease, poking him playfully in the ribs.

"It's just a touch of hayfever," George sniffs, wiping his eyes. "And by Merlin, you two should have done this ages ago!"

"Sure, George," Fred chuckles, draping an arm around my shoulders, "just a shame Hogwarts never installed that wedding chapel in time."

"They could always put it next to the maternity ward?" I suggest, grinning coyly.

"You two aren't-?" Molly gasps, her eyes dropping to my stomach.

"Mum, we haven't even seen each other in eight months," Fred mutters, "if she were then you would definitely know."

"You'll name your first kid after me though, won't you?" George asks.

"Without a doubt," I say, smiling at the thought of having Fred's babies. "Little George or Georgina. I like it."

"Hey!" Ron says, joining the chat. "I think Ronnie would suit better."

"To Fred and my future daughter in law, Harriet!" Arthur announces, raising his glass. "May they live a long and happy life together."

We all laugh as we chink glasses. Fred and I exchange smiles, warming my heart and soul completely.

"Humans are so weird." Griphook mutters as he downs his champagne in one gulp.

*****

It is almost midnight when Arthur announces that it is time for the celebrations to end.

I feel my throat constrict almost at once as Fred holds me tighter in his arms from where we are cuddled on the sofa. This evening - which has been full of love and laughter - has made me forget the war I'm supposed to be fighting.