43 - The Rescue

I sit and wait, leaning my stinging forehead against the cool glass of the window, my heart thrumming in my chest.

Privet Drive is deserted at this time of night: silent cars parked in driveways and windows dark except for the occasional security light warning potential burglars away.

I can hardly believe this will soon no longer be my home.

A gentle knock at my bedroom door rouses me. I look up to see Dudley's large frame timidly entering my room.

"Harri?" He murmurs, his normal deep voice sounding unnaturally light. "It's time."

Without hesitation, I jump up from my bed and practically fly across the room to him, my body colliding against his.

"I'm sorry," I whisper as he envelopes me in a hug. "I'll miss you."

This is our goodbye. For he, my aunt and uncle are going into hiding. I have no idea if I'll ever see him again, and the thought is so frightening, I feel I cannot breathe.

"I'll miss you too, cuz," he says, holding me a fraction tighter. "But we'll see each other again. I know we will. Families stick together."

His words are so sweet I want to cry. But I also want to laugh because I know my aunt and uncle would rather pluck out their own eyeballs than call me family.

"Thank you," I say, trying not to cry, "for everything."

"COME ON BOY! WE HAVEN'T GOT ALL DAY!"

I wince at Uncle Vernon's loud booming voice from downstairs. I shall not ever miss it.

With one last apologetic look, Dudley lets go of me and leaves.

My heart heavy with sadness, I go back to my bed and stare out of the window as I watch my only family drive away.

"Bye, Dudley," I whisper.

Hedwig gives a hoot, and I glance up at her cage. She flaps her wings and gives me a look which could kill.

I know she is cross with me because I haven't let her out since our return to Privet Drive. I cannot risk it, for I know she won't be safe. I'm currently the most wanted witch, and until I reach the safety of the Weasleys, Hedwig will not be safe either.

I feel sick at the thought of going back to the Burrow. But it's been explained to me that I'm no longer safe at Privet Drive. Apparently my Mother had managed to cast some protective spell over this place which kept me safe from harm. But now with the Durselys on the run, I am unable to call this place my home.

And now I am waiting for my Guard to arrive so that they can escort me safely out of here.

I wonder who they will send. Hopefully Kingsley. I feel safe with him.

What I don't expect is a loud bang outside and a smattering of chatter as though a party has just arrived.

Startled, Hedwig and I look at one another. She hoots loudly and frantically begins to flap her wings again, her cage rattling crazily.

"Shhh," I try and reassure her, "it's just the Guard - they're taking us to our new safe spot."

I feed her some food through the bars, hoping to calm her.

"HARRI?!"

I instantly recognise Tonks' voice and I beam. I like Tonks, she always makes me laugh.

Grabbing Hedwig's cage, I hurry downstairs to greet the welcoming committee, my trunk banging heavily at my heels down the stairs behind me.

I stop short when I enter the kitchen, my heart stilling in my chest.

For there, lounging around the table, is Ron, Hermione, Mr Weasley, Tonks, Lupin, Fleur, Bill, Mundungus, the real Moody, Kingsley, Hagrid, George and... Fred.