39 - The Book

Sixth year is a depressing one.

And it doesn't help that Fred's absence is leaving a horrific hole in my heart. I have to stop myself from marching over to the Gryffindor table to shake Ron and Ginny until they spill any news about him. How's his business going? Does he have a girlfriend? Is he happy, or miserable as sin from missing me like I miss him?

But I know there are no answers which I will want to hear. Not unless they tell me that Fred has admitted he's made a big mistake and is planning on winning me back.

Fat chance.

I realise I need to move on and stop wallowing. I try and throw myself into the Slug Club which both Blaise and I have been invited to attend. It's alright I suppose. Nice food. Slughorn is a bit of a bore though. Still, he's harmless. And our new Potions Master.

Speaking of which, he got us to have a good sniff of Amortentia one time in class. It did not surprise me that I could smell Fred's cologne. His scent is the best scent in the world.

It made me smile and it made me sad as memories of him flooded me, taking me back to happier times.

I asked Draco what he could smell, but he refused to tell me. Well, he said nothing the entire lesson actually, and I got more conversation out of my tatty second hand Potions book than I did from him.

A spell for enemies? Huh, that's one I'll tuck away for a rainy day.

*****

Much to my annoyance, Dumbledore has insisted on giving me one on one after hours classes. For what reason, I'm not sure exactly. I mean, I learned that Tom Riddle was a product of rape, and that he had an unhealthy obsession with trinkets, but how's that going to help me in my awesome ambition to be an Auror?

These late night classes, however, are the reason I stumble across an intriguing discovery one evening.

"And thus concludes our session for tonight," Dumbledore announces at two o'clock in the fucking morning.

Muttering a farewell, I throw my Invisibility Cloak over my head and quickly leave his office. I don't necessarily need the cloak, but I don't have the energy to explain to Filch why I am allowed out in the corridors at this time of night.

However, when I round the first corner, and about to descend the first set of stairs, I am startled to see a figure hurrying up towards me. Panicking, I move to the side and press myself back against the wall, my heart pounding.

When the person nears, I am shocked to see it is my recent former best friend.

What the hell is Draco doing up roaming the castle at this time of night?

My first thought is that he is quite obviously out shagging. But as he passes me, he doesn't look like someone who is about to or has just been laid.

In fact, he looks fearful.

Curious, I make a snap decision and decide to follow him. After all, it hasn't escaped my notice how odd he's been behaving lately. He barely talks to any of us anymore, and when he does it's usually to bite our heads off. He never shows up for mealtimes and the shadows under his eyes are becoming quite alarming.

Up until now, I'd been putting his behaviour down to him being all emo about his father. And in all honesty, I've been wallowing too much of my own to notice others' woes.

I stay far enough behind so he won't hear my footsteps, but close enough so I don't lose him. When we reach the seventh floor, I soon find out he's using the room Fred and I used to fuck in.

I watch as he silent paces up and down and I wonder what sort of room he is conjuring. A sex room? But he's on his own. And to be honest he has his own room for that, never ashamed to flaunt various conquests through the Slytherin common room towards his own private chambers.