29 - The Morning After

A/N: A double update today as I will be busy tomorrow and therefore won't be able to update again until Wednesday (don't forget to read the previous chapter: 'The Spice Girl' first if you have not done so already.) Enjoy!

*****

"WHAT IN MERLIN'S BEARD IS GOING ON HERE?!"

The voice startles me awake. I instantly sit up, and then immediately regret this action when I realise my tits are on full display to the horror-struck Molly stood at the doorway of the bedroom I'd just slept with her son in.

"Oh shit," Fred says, quickly reaching up to pull me back down, hastily pulling the covers over me in the mad rush to preserve what is left of my dignity.

"Get out, Mum!" He bellows holding me tight against him. "I locked that door!"

"And I unlocked it," Molly said, standing defiantly in the threshold. "And it's a good job too, because I was about to call the Aurors!"

I close my eyes, the humiliation too much.

"Mum!" Fred implores, his arms tightening around me, "Please just leave us!"

"YOU HAVE BROKEN THE RULES!"

"I don't care! I'm an adult!"

"An adult in bed with a child!"

"She's sixteen, we waited. I would never-"

"Oh please!" Molly scoffed. "That harpy's been itching to get her claws into you for ages. I'm not that blind! And of course with you being a man-"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence, Mother!" Fred growls. "You don't understand."

A loud bark of laughter leaves her throat. "Oh, I understand alright. I was young once."

"I love her."

I freeze, and my face, which had been hiding against Fred's chest tilts up, my breath hitching in my throat as his eyes meet mine, and I can see he means it and my heart almost bursts.

And then there are more footsteps.

"What's going on here-?" I hear Arthur say. "Oh! Oh- I, uh... morning Fred... Um, morning there, Harriet."

"What's this?" Comes a third voice. My godfather's. "Ah! Good to see this room getting some action at last. My great, great, great aunt died in that very bed aged one hundred and fifty-nine. Thought we were never going to get rid of the old hag. Now, who's up for bacon butties?"

I bury my face back in Fred's chest, absolutely mortified at the audience now gathered at the door.

"Come on Molly, dear," I hear Arthur say calmly, "I think we should leave these two young lovers in peace now, don't you?"

I can practically feel the waves of anger emanating from Molly.

When, at last, I hear the click of the door closing, I look back up into Fred's face.

"Please tell me that didn't just happen?" I breathe shakily.

"What? The bit about my mother barging in on us or the part where I said I love you?"

Again my heart inflates, and my lips tug into a helpless smile. "Do you really?" I whisper.

Now it's Fred's turn to smile, his eyes creasing at the corners as he chuckles against me. "It's not actually how I wanted to tell you, but yes, of course I bloody love you."

"I love you too," I say, the words feeling both strange and yet so right on my lips. "I love you, Fred."

We just look at one another then, and I know the adoration in his eyes match mine.