21 - The Ex-Girlfriend

"Ron! Wait up!"

I am breathless by the time I catch up with Ron after Potions class, wanting to talk to him before lunch.

"What is it?" He asks impatiently. "I'm hungry, and I'm told it's steak and ale pie today."

"It can be quick if you answer my question." I say. It had been my plan to catch him in a rush for this exact reason. "Who was Fred's girlfriend before me?"

Ron narrows his eyes. "If I tell you, is Fred going to kill me in my sleep?"

"I'll find out from someone else anyway!" I implore. "Just tell me, please."

"Oh, alright, it was Angelina Johnson."

That bitch!

"His Quidditch team mate?!"

"Yeah, I mean it makes sense, she's gorgeous and they've heaps in common. Mum loved her. She was more cut up than Fred when he broke up with her."

Great, fucking fantastic. Molly's going to hate me even more now.

"Why did they break up?"

Ron just shrugs. "Don't know and don't care."

"How long were they together?"

"Look, I thought this was just going to be a quick question. I'm starving!"

"Let's walk and talk," I say, having no intention of finishing this conversation yet. I needed details.

Ron groans as I throw more questions at him. "Does your mum know about me and Fred?"

"If she does, we'd know about it by now. You saw the Howler she sent me after we trashed Dad's car. Imagine how she'd feel about one of her precious sons dating an underage Slytherin? Nah, I expect Fred's been leaving that little piece of information out of his letters home. And wisely too."

I feel ridiculously hurt.

"You know he's going to be eighteen next month?" Ron continues. "It's getting borderline creepy now."

"And what about Hermione and Krum?!"

Ron flinches. "Well she's sixteen, isn't she? She can do whoever the fuck she likes."

"I hate being a July baby, it's not fair!" I say, stamping my foot crossly. "Everyone is doing it and I'm being treated like a little child being left out of the adult fun!"

"Yes, please keep telling me how much you want to ride my brother. It's such a delight to hear." Ron mutters sarcastically. "And for your information, it's not just you who is being left out of the action."

He stomps off up ahead and I make no attempt to hurry after him.

When I enter the Hall, my eyes go straight to the Gryffindor table as they usually do. My stomach twists as I see that one of the twins is sat next to Angelina, both of them laughing at something. I pray it is George.

"Hey Harri," I spin around just as the other twin approaches me, but I am close enough to see straight away that it's George.

No, no, no! Without saying hi back, I glare back at the Gryffindor table. To my fury, Angelina is touching Fred's arm!

"I wouldn't worry," George says, following my gaze and obviously reading my thoughts. "He's crazy about you. But they've got to get on as we're all teammates. Besides, he'd never take her back after she did the dirty on him with Lee."

My jaw drops open. "Lee? As in yours and Fred's best mate, Lee Jordan?"

George nods, his expression grim. "Says a lot about Fred that he has forgiven them both. Never one to bear grudges. Solid gold guy."