8 - Fiancee

A/N: As mentioned (numerous times!) in the last chapter, Astoria has green eyes in this story, despite the face claim above (love Adelaide Kane)

*****

"You didn't think to tell me that you're engaged to Daphne's little sister?!"

"I was worried you wouldn't come back with me if you'd known!"

"How did you figure that one out?!" I splutter.

Draco looks at me, his face full of regret.

After the shocking revelation upon our arrival at the manor, Draco swiftly dragged me and Lily away, insisting on getting us settled in after our 'long and tiring' journey.

The room Narcissa had made up for me and Lily is right next door to Draco's, I notice, and even has an adjoining nursery for Lily - the perfect space for her crib and toys. The place is bigger than my entire flat alone.

However, I can barely appreciate this due to being in utter shock at the discovery of Draco's surprise fiancee. Not once had he even given me any tiny indication that he was with anyone, let alone engaged to be married. I cannot even process how I feel about this - that, why, when I should be happy for him, I just feel so fucking sad.

"Harri," he says quietly, moving across the room to me, placing his hands on either side of my arms. "I've missed you. I don't think I can live without you. You are, and have always been, my most favourite person in the world."

"Isn't this the kind of thing you should be saying to the woman you are going to marry?!" I snap, shrugging him off. "And how the hell does she feel about me and my daughter shacking up with you?!"

Draco hesitates. "She knows you and I are just friends."

I stare at him, shaking my head.

"Yesterday, you paid two thousand pounds for me to give you a lap dance and then proceeded to tell me that you think I'm the most beautiful girl in the world." I say steadily. "If Fred had behaved like that towards another woman when we were together then I would have chopped his balls off with a pair of blunt pliers!"

"But I never intended for you to do the lap dance-"

"That is not the point!"

I am totally shocked by Draco's behaviour. Actually, scratch that - no I'm not, him treating girls like shit is normal. Him asking them to marry him, however, is not.

A gentle knock at the door startles us, and Draco and I look up as Astoria tentatively enters.

"Sorry to interrupt," she says, looking nervously from me to Draco as she tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, "but I just wanted to see if there's anything I can do to help?"

Oh god, she is so sweet. I want to kill Draco.

I try my best to offer her a sincere smile. "No, thank you. I think Lily and I are all settled in now. How are you, Astoria? And Daphne? It's been a while."

Astoria seems to visibly relax and her eyes light up, as though she'd been fearful that I was going to tell her to fuck off.

"Oh, great, thank you," she says quickly. "Daph'll be so happy to hear you've returned. Everyone has missed you so much. Especially Dray."

I don't miss the dull flicker in her eyes as she says this last part. I feel so sorry for her.

"That's kind of you to say," I continue to smile with an effort.

This is so awkward. The atmosphere is completely strained and I notice that Draco doesn't even look at his fiancee, his gaze too busy studying me.

I wait for him to say something, but he remains silent.