5 - Porridge

A/N: Sorry for the delay in updates - I've been busy moving house! Anyway, enjoy ❤️

*****

I enter the living room, feeling an unexpected rush of relief to discover the white-blond haired Slytherin sitting pensively on my sofa, the blanket and pillow I presume he'd used in the night folded neatly beside him.

He immediately looks up, his face softening as his eyes land on the child on my hip.

"I thought you may have left," I admit, biting my lower lip.

"I told you," he said, his voice hoarse, "I'm not letting you go now that I've found you."

He holds my gaze and I can't help but smile, my heart lifting as his own lips twitch up at the corners.

"Well," I say, looking down at Lily who is busily chewing her fingers, "I suppose it's time to say hello to your uncle Draco."

Draco immediately sits a little more alert as I move across the room to him, plonking my daughter in his lap. His arms instantly go around her as he slides her further up his lap, cradling her to him.

"Hello, Lily," he says, his voice taking on a gentle nature which I'd never heard him use before. "I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy, and I used to go to school with your mummy."

Lily immediately scowls up at him and bashes a small fist against his face.

"OW!" Draco hollars loudly. "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR?!"

"Well, she's a Weasley twin product." I say as though this answers everything.

Draco scowls down at Lily and pokes out his tongue, blowing a raspberry. This delights her and she laughs, trying to copy him but failing miserably.

Satisfied she's not traumatised by our unexpected visitor, I leave them to it and busy myself around the open plan kitchen, making Lily's breakfast whilst Draco talks to her about the weather.

"Put her in her highchair, would you?" I ask, sticking some porridge into the microwave. "And there's no point talking to her about the chances of precipitation, she's a baby and doesn't care if it rains, snows, or shits puppies out there - just so long as she gets fed."

"Do you often swear in front of your child?" Draco drawls as he gets up off the sofa and carries her over to the small table which separates the living room from the kitchen.

"No." I take the porridge out of the microwave and check the temperature. "But I can't seem to help it when you're around."

I watch on in amusement as he battles to work out how to strap Lily into the small wooden highchair. In the end he gets out his wand and uses magic, much to my daughter's wide eyed fascination.

As he sits down in a chair in front of her, she immediately makes a grab for his wand, desperately wanting it, eager to see those colorful sparks fly from the funny looking twig again.

It occurs to me then that this is the first time Lily has experienced any kind of magic at all. When I turned my back on my old life, I turned my back on everything. Was I really planning on denying Lily her magical heritage like I was denied mine?

My heart gives a funny twist, and my hands shake as I lower Lily's breakfast down on the counter in front of me.

"Harri?" Draco asks, his voice full of concern, oblivious to Lily who is madly straining against her straps in her bid to grab his wand. "Are you okay?"

I give myself a mental shake. "Yes. It's just all so... confronting."

Draco glances down at his wand, understanding dawning on his face at once.