48 - The Wedding - part two

I check myself out in the floor-length mirror of Ginny's bedroom, brushing out the creases of my long, backless emerald gown.

"That's a beautiful dress," Ginny says admiringly. "Where did you get it from?"

"Fred bought it for me back when we were together." I say, turning to smile at her. "It's the first time I'm wearing it, though."

I don't miss the look she and Hermione exchange.

"He must have spent a fortune on it," Hermione says rather pointedly. "That's Mulberry silk."

"Yeah, well he was head over heels in love with her," Ginny says. "Still is, I reckon."

I look up, my heart racing as my eyes meet hers.

"What?" She scoffs, "Don't tell me you haven't seen the way my brother looks at you? Merlin, he was like a kicked puppy all throughout last year. I've never seen him so alive again since you've been here these last two days."

"It's just nostalgia," I say quietly, really not wanting to believe my own words but also not wanting to get my hopes up that it could be anything more than that. "We were together for a while."

"Nostalgia?!" Ginny barks, "Merlin, I get nostalgic when my mother bakes jam tarts, but you don't see me looking at them as though I want to give up my soul for them."

"Yes," Hermione readily agrees, "he does have that look whenever Harri enters the room."

I can feel my cheeks grow hot as my heart-rate accelerates. I suddenly long to be near him, to see that expression in his eyes for myself.

But I don't have to wait long, for Molly calls us all downstairs to take our seats for the ceremony in the garden.

He is already seated, his eyes instantly finding mine as though he were waiting for me. I don't miss the way they widen, or the twinkle that follows. His lips tug at the corners, and I can't but help smile back.

I want to so badly sit with him, but Molly has ordered me on the bride's side to even out the numbers. I find myself sat next to a fat French guy who smells strongly of garlic. Perhaps he is worried there might be vampires here tonight?

I am grateful when Tonks sits on my other side, along with Lupin. I smile warmly at her.

"I love a good wedding," she whispers in my ear. "It was a shame Remus and I had to rush ours. But he's old fashioned like that." She pats her small swollen stomach.

"I think it's romantic," I say, my eyes once again meeting Fred's as he glances over from the other side of the aisle. Butterflies flutter in my stomach as again we share a smile.

"You two make a cute couple," Tonks grins, noticing mine and Fred's shared look. "I always said that, didn't I, Remus? The way you both look at one another, it's sweet."

Lupin gives an uncomfortable nod.

"He doesn't want to be with me, though," I say, sighing heavily. "He wants me to be free."

"Nonsense!" Tonks says. "Oh, I don't know, the bloody youth of today: terrified of saying or doing anything in fear it'll be construed as abuse or entrapment. He's dotty about you, isn't he, Remus?"

"I'm not really very good at this teen romance stuff," Lupin shrugs, "but if I were to hazard a guess, then I'd say yes, young Fred certainly has a soft spot when it comes to Harriet."

I'm about to point out that Fred is no longer a teenager, when a trumpet sounds, indicating the entrance of the bride.

I want to cry because the ceremony just goes on and on, and I am bored senseless. Next to me, Tonks really does cry, and I think she could really do with one of Molly's embroidered handkerchiefs as she howls and blubbers.