55 - The Sleepyhead

I cannot even begin to describe the horror I feel as I go flying through the air. I do not care about the pain of wood, stone and glass ripping through my skin. All I can think is Fred - because in that split second before I was tossed unceremoniously into the air, his eyes had met mine just as a boulder smashed into the back of his head.

I land heavily to the ground, a body landing on top of me. It takes me a moment to realise that the body belongs to Draco, who is still gripping me tight.

"Harri-" he rasps, throwing the debris off us as he scrambles to his feet, pulling me up with him, "-are you okay?"

I'm not okay. I'll never be okay again.

He brushes me down and frantically checks me over, his eyes searching over my body. "Harri- speak to me!"

But instead, I look around, trying to find Fred. However, I have lost my glasses and I cannot see anything but blurry shapes around me.

"My glasses-" I sob, "I can't see without them."

But that no longer matters anymore. Because my insides quite suddenly turn to liquid as the screams begin.

"No - no - no!" Someone is shouting. "No! Fred! No!

I angrily push Draco off me as he tries to pull me into a hug. He is getting on my nerves and I need to be with Fred. I need to make sure he's getting treatment for his head, because surely it must be hurting him so much, and he doesn't want to get concussion.

I trip and stumble towards the three red-headed men grouped on the ground where the wall had blasted apart. I do not like the sound coming from Percy's mouth - it's almost inhuman, like a howl.

It'll be fine though. Silly Fred. He likes to wind up his brothers. Especially Percy.

I almost laugh with relief because of course that is what Fred is doing. He's a big joker, but I'll make sure to tell him off about this - he's scared me unnecessarily and he must not do it again.

Finally reaching the group, I fall to my knees, trying not to look directly at the state of the back of Fred's head.

Wake up, silly. This game is not funny anymore.

I grab his hand and almost gasp at how lifeless it feels.

Squeeze back, squeeze back.

"Fred-" I sob, lifting it to my mouth, desperately pressing my lips against his cold skin. "Wake up, Fred. Please."

But he doesn't move.

A hand on my back. "We need to move him. We need to get out of here."

I shrug Draco off.

"Harri!" Draco says more forcefully, trying to pull me away from Fred. "It's too late - he's gone. We need to move!"

I let go of Fred's hand and stand up, turning slowly and angrily to face Draco. "FUCK OFF!" I scream in his face, letting all my anger out, mad at him for preventing me from going to Fred when I had the chance. "FUCK OFF! FUCK OFF! FUCK OFF!"

Draco blanches, hurt rippling across his face. "Harri-"

"GET AWAY FROM ME, GET AWAY!" Tears blur my vision. I am numb. I cannot comprehend what the hell is happening. All I know is that I don't want Draco near me, I don't want anyone touching me except for Fred.

But Fred is being dragged away, and Hermione is now throwing her arms around me, sobbing against me. "I'm sorry," she sobs. "I'm sorry, but he's dead."

Fred isn't dead. Fred isn't dead. No one here are doctors, and until I hear it from someone who knows their shit, I refuse to believe that Fred is indeed dead.