Chapter 1 - We live a normal life

Was life a delusion? 

We delude ourselves with dreams, goals and lifestyles, only to feel empty. Left out. Even with the world in our hands we might never be able to feel complete. The urge to consume more and more until we binge on things just to feel something is where I am at. 

What was it all for? What do we need exactly?

 After all that hard work we asks ourselves, what was all of this for in the end? 

"Sarah?" My mom called out to me from the front seat of the car. 

"Yeah mom?" I replied adjusting myself in the car seat. 

"What are the extra curriculars you will be taking this year? Something that involves the use of an instrument?" She asked looking back at me. She wanted me to channel my artistic skills in the music field. 

My mother was pretty. She was young for her age. She was always the happy one. Some days I feel like we are poles apart. She finds the good in everything and I find the wrong in all. Rani was her name. She mentioned that it means queen in Hindi. Her parents after a trip in India decided that it would be an apt name for their unborn daughter. In my dad's eyes she was his queen for sure. He made sure of expressing that from time to time. Sometimes too much for my liking. 

"You know, when you were young you liked to play the piano. Why don't you give that another try? Or maybe the guitar?" My father chimed in. 

George Michaels was a banker. Strict with the coin and with academics. He always supported the fact that we need to do good, whatever we did. He always told me to do my best no matter how small the task was. Quality was something that he emphasized on. Sadly this mentality drove my elder brother away. We don't know where he was or what he was up to. I was too young to know what exactly happened. Dad tried to track him down but it was too late. My brother left home without a trace. We hoped he would come back one day. This was a dead topic. No one brought it up. Dad still blames himself for it and tries his best to keep us happy. Even when we see the empty chair in the dinning table everyday.

"I don't know dad. Playing sounds tiresome. I will try to find something else that don't take up much of my energy. Like chess. That sound peaceful." I said defeated. Knowing for a fact that my parents will try to convince me otherwise. 

"Okay. Just give it a thought. That's all I am saying." Dad said looking in front. 

Everything was good. Everything is good. Yet I felt this way. I felt a sense of dread. As if something was wrong. There was a deep pull in my gut. It only deepened with my 18th birthday coming close. I had always felt empty. Never satisfied. A thirst for something. It only grew with my age. I look at my parents. Happily talking about something. We were off to a vacation. 

I was looking forward to this for a while. This might be the last time me and my folks would spend time together. I will be off to college soon.

My parents were deciding whether to visit the lake house first or do some sight seeing before that. I was smiling looking at them happily bicker. It felt good seeing them like this. In their element. Happy and content. I wish I could reach there. Maybe some day I would. 

I looked out of the window and felt something move behind us. Something dark. I got up and looked behind. I saw a sleek black car right behind us. All the windows of the car were was tinted black. Even the front screen was pitch black. I was not able to identify the driver. It was a black Audi maybe a R8. The car was painted matte black, if anyone drove it in pitch darkness the car would have been invisible. The car was right behind us. The lights started to blink. As in warning. 

"Dad, the car behind us is blinking their headlights. Should we move and make way?" I asked my dad still looking at the car tailing us. 

My dad looked at the rear view mirror and said "Maybe we should." He did and slowed down making sure the driver had enough space to take over and move ahead. But the car stilled tailed us. They seemed adamant on getting out attention. My ears pained as they started to honk at us.  

Beeep beeep......beeep beeeeeep........beeep beeep. 

My mom looked worried and asked me to sit down and wear my seatbelts. My dad seemed to take the matter at hand more seriously and sat up straight. 

"Is it a road rage or something?" My mom asked my dad. 

"I don't want to give in. Let them do what they want if we don't react maybe they will let us go." My dad said as cool as a cucumber. 

But the hoking did not stop. 

Beeeeeep, beeeeeep.............beeeeeeeep, beeeeeeeep...........................beeeeeeeep, beeeeeeep. 

The sound was getting on my nerves. I closed my ears as the honking continued. My mom worried turned back to hold me with her right hand. Knowing I get agitated with loud noise around. 

"Close your ears Sarah. It won't take long for them to go." My mom said loudly over the continued honking. 

These were the last words I heard from my mom. As the front of our car exploded causing my dad to swerve the car to the left driving us right off the road to a steep valley. I saw smoke and glass come my way as we dove down. I was being propelled from one side to another, the seat belt ensuring that I was not thrown out of the car. It took a minute for the car to come to a halt. 

My breathing got heavier. My head was hurting and I could taste blood in my mouth. I felt dizzy and I managed to look and try to see my parents. But the front of the car was missing. My parent were missing. I tried calling out to them. I tried reaching out my hand. But all I could feel were the smoke, the glass and metal. 

"Maaa, Paaa....." I called out with a feeble voice. Nothing was clear. Something was dripping off my hair and covered my right eye. I was still on the seat with the seat belt on. My chest got heavier. As I breathed out "Help me." 

Suddenly I felt an arm pull off the door. The strength it took to rip off the door off its hinges shook the car. I would have screamed if it was not for the fact that I could hardly keep my eyes open. There was a painful ringing  in my ears.  I tried to look towards my left where the stranger was. He was clad in black. A black tee and jeans. With black sunglasses on. His hands sneaked over to my right to get off the seat belt. The dam thing was stuck. As he crossed over to remove the seat belt on me I could see his hair tied up in a bun and a faint smell of roses. It was like smelling a garden in the morning. If it wasn't for the fact that he was almost touching me I would have been smelling smoke and fuel instead of his perfume. 

I heard a ripping sound. It was painful to hear, as he ripped the seat belt off me, his hands brushed my right arm where I could feel throbbing pain.  I gave out a shriek. 

"Ummm...it hurts." I said with my head rested on the car seat. He moved back and removed the rest of the belt and left me to breath for a while. I could feel his pale hands move towards my forehead and touch the bleeding wound. That made me wince. 

"Hmmmm......" Was all I was able to say. I was in pain. 

"Sorry" The stranger said as he put his arm round my back and lifted me off the seat. I was carried out and still conscious I could see the damage done to the car. The front of the car was missing. The metal was all twisted and there was blood. A lot of blood. I managed to look up at the stranger carrying me. He was slow and careful making sure to hurt me. But it did not matter. There was pain all over my body. 

Then there was the painful realization as I remembered my parents were no where to be seen.