Chapter 5 - Driving home

I sat my bare ass on the cold metal chair. As Benjamin served me hot stew with some stale bread. We sat in silence as I ate. I looked at his empty table side and asked.

 "You ain't hungry?" 

"I will eat when I get back home." He said looking at me. 

Is the food poisoned then? I looked down at my bowl and instantly spit the food back in. I looked at him horrified. The food did not taste odd. 

He laughed. As he did I could see what could have been pearly white canines, a little bigger than a normal human. 

"I did not poison the food." He said as he took my bowl and take a spoonful of stew into his mouth. I looked as his lips separated and took the spoon right into his mouth. He placed a clean spoon back into my bowl. Then pushed my bowl back to me. 

I took it as confirmation and continued to eat my food. I was hungry. God knows how long I was sleeping. 

"How long has it been since the incident?" 

"Just a day. You slept through the day. How are you feeling?" 

"Tired. Confused." 

"I will take you someplace safe soon. Don't worry."

"I don't know you. For all I know you are here to harm me." I said it bluntly looking at him. 

His eyes softened for a moment. 

"Only if you knew." He said as he took a cigarette out the pack on the table and just when he was about to light it. He looked at me for permission. 

I nodded. I didn't mind him smoking. 

"I want to go home." I said. As I continued to eat. 

"You think those hunters won't go looking for you there? You saw what they did to you in the hospital right? They will do even worse things if you are found alone again. You are not safe."  He said looking down. Taking another puff from his cigarette. 

"So what? Am I supposed to sit tight and follow you everywhere." I asked a little more sternly. I was annoyed. I was getting annoyed. This was not supposed to be my life. I was supposed be enjoying  my vacation with my parents. I was supposed be with them, I was supposed to go to college, live my life....

"I was supposed to be happy." I screamed and I shoved the blow off the table. I could feel tears running down my face. I could feel pain in my chest. I looked up at Benjamin. I was angry at him, at everyone. 

"It's your fault." I said. As I got up my legs buckled under me and I fell. The tears did not stop and I let out my frustration. My anger that built up all this while. I was angry and sad and the only way I could express it was by crying. I screamed again. I heard the chair Benjamin sitting on shift and felt his arms around me. He picked me up and cradled me like a baby. I felt complete weakness. I felt weak in the body and soul. I let go. 

Benjamin placed my body into his. Both his hands wrapped me tightly. I laid my head onto his shoulder and continued crying. I was vulnerable and weak. I could not hold on anymore. I had to let it out. Benjamin picked me up and started walking towards the same bedroom I woke up from. He sat down with me in his arms and said nothing. He looked ahead out of the window. 

As he held me all I could feel was cold. His body was cold and hard like marble. My head nuzzled into his neck and I could feel deep sleep coming in. 

I could hear Benjamin humming a tune. A soft slow tune. It calmed me down. 

"I will keep you safe. I promise." Was the last thing I heard as I fell asleep. 

"So what extracurriculars are you going to take?" My mom asked looking back at me.