(Chapter 42) The Strongests Of Both Sides

Tadao was trying to calm his breathing as he was standing in front of Kokushibo.

The demon looked down at him.
"Have you already begun to realise that this battle is utterly useless?"

Tadao knew very well the gap between them, but surrendering was never an option for him ever after he drew his sword in front of Kokushibo.
"If I bother you that much, then it can be helped!"
He got in attacking stance again.

Kokushibo got in stance too now.
"Then this battle will be your last one.
Breath of Moon!
Fifth Form: Moon Spirit Calamitous Eddy."

Kokushibo made multiple curved slashes layered over one another, creating a rising vortex of sword slashes and crescent moon blades.
Tadao rushed at the demon while facing his powerful attack.
"Breath of Water !
Third Form: Flowing Dance."

Tadao swung and bended his blade in
a winding motion along with his body
and danced in a flowing pattern, slicing
every crescent blade in his path.

In a matter of minute, he was in front of Kokushibo, who swung his sword vertically, but Tadao blocked it with his sword.

Their blades clashed with each other, and they both looked at each other coldly.
"Is it worth for a human as strong as you to die for sake of the weak?
Filled with a sense of justice, ruled by emotions and fooled by believing in things that don't exist.
Tadao Soragoi, those are why you humans are just another flawed creature.
Sacrifices mean nothing more than just another death."

The blades were clashing each other, and it seemed that they had entered a contest of sheer strength .
"Sacrificing is often required for the greater good!
I am a human, a creature of flaws, but that does not define my fate and the way I choose it to be.
I've seen people close to me sacrifice themselves for the weak many times.
They died in front of my eyes heroically.
And all I did was to succumb in sorrow...

I was a fool, and I still am for not understanding them.
They protected a weakling like me in order to live more.
They sacrificed their lives so that I can enjoy mine as much as I can.
I am a fool who didn't do anything to prevent those sacrifices.
I never protected someone dear to me, and I lost them.
But later, I began to realise that I could at least prevent others from feeling the same thing.
So I trained and trained until I knew that I could do it.
But I was still a weakling.
Fearing that, I would lose someone again.I closed my feelings and only created ties of respect with the people around me and nothing more."

Kokushibo overpowered him and managed to attack him, leaving a big scar on his right side of the face.
His eye patch fell off, and his blind eye was shown.
The blood was running down his face, but Tadao didn't mind since he had only fought with his left eye for a long time.

Kokushibo looked at his sword, who it was devouring the blood spilt in it.
"In the end, you will end just like them.
Truly disappointing!"

Tadao touched his right eye.
"No!
This scarred eye, who I saw as a punishment, now is making me realise something.
The people who sacrificed themselves in front of me ignited a fire and passed it to me.
We may die, but our wills get passed on, and they passed it to me.
They hoped that I would be able to see this world in peace.
But that may not happen, so here I am tonight, protecting others at all costs in order to do what I could not."

Kokushibo charged toward him.
"A world at peace?
I've lived for centuries, and I realised something that you humans can not."

He took a deep breath, and Tadao got ready for his attacks.
"The only time warriors found peace is when they die!