7- The Graveyard Shift

I pulled the keys out of my pocket and sunk them into the lock. With a satisfying click the door to Fazbear's Fright swung open. I stepped over the threshold, taking an eyeful of the newly-built establishment. It had the faux old look, fake slime and mold covering the walls. Behind the ticket desk was the glowing, leering eyes of what I assumed was Freddy Fazbear. I went past the desk and the attraction entrance, going straight to a door marked 'EMPLOYEES ONLY'.

The security office was pretty drab. They'd tried to spice up the mood by adding some posters from the original Freddy Fazbear's Family Pizzeria, but they were in tatters and barely legible.

I adjusted my night guard hat, pulling it firmly over my brunet hair. I swept my button-up navy blue shirt, getting all the dust outside off my work uniform.

I plopped myself into the swivel chair I was to work from, and touched the name tag on my shirt. It said in bold, black letters engraved onto a white rectangle: 'JOHN DOE'.

I was working here at Fazbear's Fright as the nighttime security guard, making sure no teenage vandals got into the place and trashed it. I'm not exactly sure what else I was supposed to guard. I mean, what else could be in here besides smoke and mirrors?

I picked up a tablet computer from the desk in front of me. It had simple controls, with settings for Camera, Audio, and Ventilation. I absentmindedly clicked on the Camera button. It brought me to several visual feeds I could scroll through, and I presumed they were all from cameras scattered throughout the building.

On one of feeds, I saw something peculiar. A humanoid stood in the hall, still as a statue. He (I assume it was a he) looked like he'd been hit by a bus- one arm was in a sling, his clothes were ripped, and the right side of his face seemed to be ruined.

The bodily injuries on him took me for a loop until I realized there was no real gore coming out of him- it was metal and wires.

My breath caught in my mouth. This was no human. This thing was an animatronic! Heart beating frantically, I clicked off the Camera menu. There had to be something to get it away from me! In a panicky motion, I selected all of the Audio settings. When I clicked on the Camera again, the robotic humanoid seemed to be gone. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Seconds later, the phone started ringing. I picked it up hastily, and the recorded message seemed to drone on forever. Eventually I just stopped listening. I kicked back the chair, resting my feet on the desk. I reclined my arms under my head, getting comfortable.

I wonder how it felt, to be a real night guard. I'm pretty sure that animatronic I had encountered earlier was simply programmed just to stand around and look eerie. Basic shock value. But, back during when Freddy's was in its prime...it must have been terrible to know your life was on the line every night at work...I don't think I could take that pressure.

Then again, all of those rumors could be just that- rumors. The Freddy Fazbear legacy was told on every creepypasta-urban legend site for years. With all kinds of Photoshopped images and fake news articles plastering the Internet, it was hard to tell what was lies and what was truth. Perhaps Freddy and his friends were just benign children's robots and the legends were created by a spurned ex-employee? I don't think there was any way of knowing what really happened back then...

Author's Note- If you couldn't tell, this was from the perspective of the security guard, John. I tried to make it as distinct as possible without making so blatant by saying "NIGHT GUARD POV." That method just seems less tasteful to me. And, just a fair warning, it starts getting serious here. When the time truly comes, I'll put a label for blood and gore, m'kay?