Birthdays without you

wanda is 5 (turning 6)

not proof read

Yelena didn't hesitate to take care of her niece when natasha died. It wasn't easy especially at the beginning when they were both grieving heavily and with wanda only being little, she didn't understand why all of a sudden her mom wasn't coming back.

Throughout everything yelena moved herself and wanda to their own house, it wasn't too big but not too small just perfect size for the both of them. They still talk about nat, the blonde knows it wouldn't be fair on the girl to just stop talking about the redhead even though most days it hurt a lot more.

Wanda's 6th birthday was tomorrow and yelena didn't know how that was going to go.

"You excited for your birthday malen'kiy pauk?"

Wanda shrugged, still snuggling as much as she can on her auntie's lap, "want mama"

Yelena rubbed the girl's back comfortingly, "I know dorogoy I'm sorry but mama will still be with us you know?"

"Really?" wanda said lifting her head up, "do you think mama sees me auntie lena?"

"I know so" yelena whispered, tickling her niece a little, she doesn't hear those cute giggles as much anymore.

It was her birthday and yelena was stressed, she doesn't really bake but she wasn't going to disappoint her niece so she woke up extra early and started. After 2 attempts she finally did it, "who would want to be a baker" she whispered to herself.

She cleaned up and made her way upstairs to wake up wanda, she did feel bad to wake her up, when she looked so comfy with nat's hoodie underneath her. Ever since nat's death, wanda isn't able to sleep without her clothes.

"Wandaa wake up" she whispered, gently shaking her.

Wanda groaned, burying herself more into nat's hoodie.

"Come on birthday girl there's a very nice chocolate cake waiting for you downstairs"

Wanda opened her eyes at the word cake, "you made my favorite?"

The woman smiled, "of course I did now up up or it will go all bad and my hard talent will go all to waste"

The girl giggled at her auntie's silly antics and scrunched her nose when the blonde kissed it, "happy birthday little natalia"

She knew how much wanda loved that nickname and it never fails to make her heart melt at the way wanda's eyes shine.

It was just them with birthday hats on and the cake, it aches yelena's heart seeing how no one came or seem to remember wanda's birthday but she never mentioned it to her, it was meant to be a little surprise for her and she doesn't want wanda to think why no one showed up.

"Okay you ready you have to blow all the candles out and if you do it in one then maybe we can go get ice cream" she smirked.

Wanda gasped, "you promise auntie lena?" she asked basically jumping on the chair.

"I promise now candles" she said chuckling.

"Wait!"

The blonde looked confused when wanda just ran out the room and when she came back, she couldn't help but feel tears building up.

"Mama" wanda simply said, climbing back on the chair and placing the framed photo of nat and the girl on the table.

"Yeah, mama" the blonde whispered, looking at the photo.

Wanda blew out all the candles and was excited that she'll be getting her favorite ice cream even though yelena would take her anyway.

"I get ice cream now mama because auntie lena promised" she said in excitement, the photo of nat's smile looking back at her.

Yelena wishes that sometimes she could freeze times in her life and go back, watching wanda keep talking to the photo of nat like she does everyday. She wished she could do something to take away the pain in wanda's eyes when there's never any response back just the same frozen moment of nat's smile looking back at them.

auntie yelena is the best