The Mischievous Princes

Rain paces the hall, trying to wait patiently for the door in front of him to open and his parent's servants to tell him he can go in to see them. His heart seems to be working overtime and had from the moment he had first received the summons to the chambers of the king and queen.

The hope, that he barely even dares to give thought to, is that his parents have finally decided to see reason and agree to let Rain marry after he had been begging them for almost a year.

When the door finally opens its all Rain can do to act like the dignified prince he is supposed to be and not rush into the room. His father's look is stern but there is an undertone of affection in it, his mother gives him a small smile. Rain knows his parents love him and want what is best for him. The only problem is what they believe is best for him and what Rain *knows* is best for him are two separate things.

"Sit," his father says in way of greeting and Rain takes the chair across from them. He knows his father won't be rushed so he just quietly waits for the man to begin what he has to say.

"Rain, your mother and I have decided that it is time to marry." Rain leans forward, unable to stop the hope that is building in his chest. "We received an offer from a nearby kingdom who will send their crown Prince here."

Rain's heart stops, the hope dying just as it had begun to grow. "But Prince Phayu......" he begins, hoping one last time to change his parent's mind.

His mother looks at him sadly, "Rain you know your father and I adore Prince Phayu, he practically grew up in this household. However his kingdom is poor and has been in a state of dishevel since our parents' time. Prince Prapai comes from a large peaceful kingdom. He is the better match for you."

"Prince Phayu and Prince Saifah have been winning the war. Their people love and adore them. Just give them time, please." Rain begged. He had received a letter from Phayu just yesterday full of good news about the battles they had fought and that many of his people were now unwilling to follow their cousin and had come over to their side instead. He just somehow had to buy time. He is sure he can convince his parents to accept Phayu's proposal once the war is over.

"Rain," his father says sternly, "you are 19 years old. You should have been married last year, our people are pushing for a good match to be made. Prince Prapai and his people will be here next week. I expect you to be courteous to him and on your best behavior. You will do everything in your power to make sure these marriage negotiations are successful."

"Do I have a choice?" Rain asks a little sourly.

"No," his father says simply. Rain already hates this Prince Prapai. He must find a way out of this marriage.

Rain immediately decides that Prince Prapai's entourage looks gaudy and the prince himself is a preening peacock. He is handsome sure, although nowhere near as handsome as his Phayu, but his clothes are garish and just the fact he needs to travel with so many people and carriage makes him seem like a show off.

Rain knows he's probably being unfair but fairness isn't topmost of his priorities at the moment.

They are formally introduced under many watchful eyes and Rain plays the part of the elegant and well mannered Prince to a fault.

"Prince Prapai, so happy to finally meet you. I have heard so much about you." Rain says, offering his hand. This was true enough, Rain's tutors had spent the past week drilling him on Prince Prapai and his kingdom.

"Prince Rain, how charming." Prince Prapai actually had the nerve to bring Rain's offered hand to his lips and kiss it. If it had been Phayu who had done this, Rain would have melted into a puddle but he feels nothing when Prince Prapai does it.