Midnight Aurora

Most people like to say Rain is a bit of a nerd, although his friend Sky tells him that is absolutely not true. He says Rain is too annoying and uncool to be a nerd.

"I'm a nerd, you are more of a geek." Sky is fond of telling him.

If you ask Rain what three things he hates the most, he will say broccoli, high school and P'Phayu, not necessarily in that order.

He feels that broccoli is self explanatory, it's a stupid tree shaped vegetable. High school is so brain-numbingly boring. Who doesn't hate it? As far as his senior P'Phayu, the upperclassman seems to spend all his time delighting in teasing Rain. To every other student he is a good senior but to Rain he is an absolute menace. Rain isn't sure why P'Phayu has singled him out but that's the way it's been since Rain's very first day of highschool. That had been last year, now Rain was in his second year and P'Phayu was in his final year, so at least Rain could look forward to one year free of the annoying senior.

He looks over at the table where the senior is sitting, or maybe glares would be a better word. As if he can feel Rain looking at him, P'Phayu turns his head and dares to wink at Rain. Winks! Ugh, how is he so annoying?

"Rain, are you even listening to me?" His friend Sky asks. Rain hadn't been and sheepishly admits it. "I asked if you have already downloaded Midnight Aurora, remember it goes live tonight and you, I, and P'Pai are supposed to campaign together."

P'Pai another source of Rain's annoyance, he has nothing against the guy but why does Sky have to date his sworn enemy's best friend of all people.

"I know," Rain says, "I downloaded it this morning before school. Who's going to be our fourth?"

"Um, it's P'Pai's cousin, you don't know him." Sky says. Rain doesn't notice that his friend fails to meet his eyes when he says this.

Rain was so excited about Midnight Aurora, he had started begging his parents to get him the latest Avi Biotech Virtual Reality 5 system for Christmas as soon as he had seen the first teaser trailers for the game. Although they didn't understand why Rain needed a new gaming system when his ABVR4 was only a few years old, they had finally given in just so he would shut up about it.

As soon as he gets home he puts on his head set and starts trying to log in, although the game isn't due to go live for another hour. Sometimes new games come up early to Relieve log in congestion.

While he is waiting he enters their discord chat. Sunflower Monkey is already on. That is Sky's character who is named after his favorite flower and his favorite One Piece Manga character. So is Wind God. Rain can't help but to roll his eyes at P'Pai's character name. There is another person on, Dragon Storm, Rain assumes this must be P'Pai's cousin. What a cool name, Rain can't help but be impressed.

"Welcome to the party, Damp Kitty," P'Pai says.

"Mysti Tyger is an awesome name, much better than Wind God." Rain says with a huff.

There is a deep chuckle from Dragon Storm. "I think it's cute." He says and Rain isn't sure whether to be flattered or offended. He would rather be cool than cute but at the same time the laugh and the man's voice over his headset gave him pleasant shivers.

"Oh it's up, refresh everyone." Sky says with uncharacteristic excitement. Rain refreshing his screen and to his delight the play icon changes from red to green.

The new technology of the AVBR5 is amazing. The first system had come out almost twenty years ago allowing players to experience games first hand through their Avi or player avatar. It had been slow and clunky back then though giving the player a feeling of disconnect between the real world and the game. The 5 however connects almost immediately and Rain blinks around in amazement at the starting city they had all chosen.