Better Than in the Middle

Phayu raises an eyebrow as the boy runs into the coffee shop looking around desperately. When he spots Phayu staring at him he freezes, but then a sound of shouts from outside makes him whirl around. He looks back at Phayu desperately and Phayu nods toward the storeroom. The boy ducks in just in time.

The shop door slams open and a group of men around Phayu's age burst in.

"Can I help you?" Phayu asks the group.

"Did a boy run in here? About 18 or 19, short auburn hair?" One man, Phayu takes him to be the leader of the gang, asks.

Phayu shakes his head, "I haven't had a customer all day until you folks."

"I told you, Stop, I am sure he ran the other way." One of the other men says.

"Shut up, Bas, I saw him run this way. Let's check the convenience store up the street," Stop says.

Phayu watches them go out and move up the street before he calls, "you can come out now, those men left already."

The boy peeks his head out of the door of the storeroom. When he sees Phayu was telling the truth he sighs in relief. "Thank you." He says.

"Why were those guys after you?" Phayu asks.

Rain frowns looking out the window. "Those guys are thugs. They hang out on the corner near my house harassing highschool kids and aunties for money. I simply told the leader he was a cowardly dog."

Phayu snorts at this. He has been running this shop with his brother since he took over for his parents five years ago. He has seen plenty of people who act like the world owes them something.

"I'm Rain by the way," the boy says, giving him a polite wai.

"I'm Phayu." Phayu says.

"Thank you again for your help, P'Phayu. I should get home." Rain says.

"Wait," Phayu says, he's not ready to let the boy go yet. "Didn't you say those guys hang out near your house? What if you run into them again?"

Rain sighs, "Unfortunately my house isn't in a great neighborhood, if it's not those guys it's someone else."

"Tell you what, I will make you a coffee on the house and you can keep me company while I close up shop. Then I will drive you home myself." Phayu tells him.

"Really?" Rain asks.

"Sure, you would be doing me a favor. It's been a boring day, it would be nice to have some company," especially if the company is as cute as Rain, Phayu thinks but doesn't say aloud.

"So do you go to school?" Phayu asks him as he wipes down the tables.

"I wish," Rain says, "I wanted to."

"Why didn't you?" Phayu asks.

"Couldn't afford it. My parents passed away when I was young and it's just me and my grandma." Rain says.

"What would you have studied?" Phayu asks.

"I wanted to study architecture." Rain says wistfully.

"Really? I'm an architect." Phayu says.

Rain's eyes grow round at this. "I thought you did this?" He waves a hand around the shop.

"Only on Sundays. My brother runs the shop Tuesday through Saturday and it's closed on Monday." Phayu says. "Sunday is the slow day, as you can see. Since most businesses on this street are closed on Sundays."

"Oh, I see. Do you enjoy architecture?" Rain asks.

"I love the design aspects of it, although some clients can be demanding and unreasonable." Phayu tells him. "Let me lock the doors and put my supplies away and I will drive you home."