..-..

“It's on the house.” Cole looked up as the cup was placed on the counter right in front of his gaze. He quickly waved his hand in dismissal.

“Oh, that's not necessary,” he reacted. “It's really nice of you, Kai, but I feel like–”

And just like yesterday, the brunet didn't let him protest.

“Don't worry about it, seriously. You can repay me some other time. Now go enjoy your coffee. And have a lovely day.”

His new observation was how each time he left the coffee shop, there was a smile tugging on his lips. Every damn time he was served by Kai.

Not a good day. Not a nice day. A lovely day...

Come on, Cole, you're not special, stop overthinking this.

But he said nice day to the person in front of him...

It's not a big deal. It's not, really. Seriously, Cole, don't think about it too much, it's just a phrase, just something they're paid to say.

But lovely?

It just was oddly personal...

Cole shook his head and raised the cup to his mouth, ready to wash away the silly thoughts. That's when something caught his eye. A black blur in the corner of his eye... Cole lowered the cup to see it properly... and he saw a phone number with a smiley face written on his cup of coffee. He had to laugh.

A lovely day... Sure, he'll have it.