.*.**

Something woke him up, he didn't know what but it kept him awake, no matter how many times he tried to get into a more comfortable position, no matter how many times he closed his eyes back up and tried, really tried to go back to sleep.

So he finally sat up, fed up with the strange feeling that kept his mind conscious despite how tired he was just a while ago. His gaze fell on the pants on the floor. As if that was calling him. The room was silent except for soft steady breath coming from next to him and some very low hum, probably coming from the kitchen or somewhere like that.

Cole stared at the pants. His phone was supposed to be tucked in a pocket there. He managed to go through the entire day without checking the news but there was no point in avoiding it anymore. He couldn't sleep anyway.

As carefully as possible, Cole got out of bed and walked around it, picked up his pants and got his phone out, leaving the clothes behind as he walked out of the bedroom. The screen glared into his face through the dark, however, Cole was more focused on opening a browser, some discomfort couldn't bother him at the moment. Not when he was bracing himself for whatever was ready to come at him.

He didn't check whatever someone sent him over the course of the past 24 hours. Instead, Cole began the search on his own. Rubbing his eyes, he began scrolling through the results.

The Voler's Secret Ingredient to Success – The Brookstone

Should We Expect a Collaboration Between Lou Brookstone and Shintaro?

A Guest, a Fan, or Perhaps a Follower in His Son's Footsteps? Lou Brookstone Appeared at Shintaro's Fashion Show!

Secret Model Guest? Check Out Lou Brookstone's Look At Yesterday's Show!

Down.

Proud Father – Lou Brookstone Visiting His Son at Shintaro's Show!

Lou Brookstone Steals the Show With His Simple Yet Fashionable Look!

What Was Brookstone's Favourite Design? What Is He Planning With His Group? The Hottest Question Answered by Lou Himself in a Quick Interview at Shintaro's Show!

Where Is Lou Brookstone With the Royal Blacksmiths Headed?

Down, down, down...

The Future of Lou Brookstone's Royal Blacksmiths and the Successes of His Son! Lou Opens up at the Doorframe of NCC Plaza

Shintaro and Lou Brookstone Joining Forces!?

Cole scrolled and scrolled, the text burning into his eyes thanks to the brightness of his phone's screen. Perhaps he was too tired to comprehend his feelings, or he was just unable to feel the frustration anymore because it was what he had expected ever since he spotted his dad in the crowd of flashing lights.

Of course. Of course most of the articles would be about him. Because the Royal Blacksmiths were just so much more famous than he could ever be, for whatever reason. As if he didn't design their most popular costumes, as if he didn't achieve more in his short life than them. As if he didn't design one of fashion's sensations when he was just entering his twenties and dealing with raw grief. As if he wasn't hired by famous celebrities many times already.

Because good advertising is everything and why would you bother focusing on his less-known son when you can put the words Lou Brookstone on your title and get hundreds of thousands of clicks? Why focus on the main point when this is so much easier?

And while he loved his dad and his endless support, even if it wasn't the easiest in the beginning, he didn't appreciate how easy it was for him to redirect the focus on himself. Maybe it wasn't done on purpose, he wanted to believe his father wouldn't have those intentions, but it never once failed to make Cole feel sour.

Why did he bother? Why couldn't he leave him alone to do his own thing?

Why was he still scrolling despite the articles repeating each other? Despite the hurt it was causing him, even if he was too half-asleep to really feel it?

"Cole? What're you doin' awake?"

"Nothing, go back to bed," he replied as if it was a simple reflex, not even flinching upon hearing the voice, his focus being glued to the screen.

"Are you seriously readin' the news at three in the morning? You were a walking ragdoll like an hour ago." He didn't even notice when they appeared behind him. It was enough to get him somewhat out of the trance and he moved the phone away from Kai's field of view.

"I couldn't sleep."

"So you decided to stare into the equivalent of a sun."

"I just had some unchecked stuff and decided to check it, what's the big deal?"

Kai didn't seem the happiest with him as he chewed on the inside of his cheek. At least from the little Cole could see in the dark.

"Let's just go back to sleep."

"Tried. Didn't work." He tried to get back to his phone.

Kai sighed, but it was on a thin borderline with an angry groan. Maybe it was good he was still sleepy from the short nap because it would probably rile him up even more otherwise. What are they angry for?

"Whatever, even just lying down and not burning your eyes out with that stupid phone will do more good. And maybe if you actually gave it some time, you'd fall asleep, you know? Let's go."

It was Cole's turn to sigh when Kai took his phone from him and put it away. He was tired and he did want to escape the various articles, so it probably was for the better. However, another part of him just wanted to wallow in the bitter frustration on his own. This would not have been a problem if he was at his own place, alone.

Now he had a strong sense of déjà vu as Kai led him back into the bedroom and wondered if this was going to be the end of everything just like it was all those years ago. Or at least the beginning of an end.

He didn't want that to happen. Then again, that's exactly what he thought back then too and how did that go for him? The worst part was, he didn't get that much time with Kai, so he decided to hold onto him when they went to resume their sleep. Hold on while he still had the chance to.